Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Usage Spikes To Nearly 2% In July, Larger Marketshare Than Apple macOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Usage Spikes To Nearly 2% In July, Larger Marketshare Than Apple macOS

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Usage Spikes To Nearly 2% In July, Larger Marketshare Than Apple macOS

The Steam Survey results for July 2023 were just published and it points to a large and unexpected jump in the Linux gaming marketshare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did my part...by launching Epic via Lutris via Steam for controller profile support...

Sorry not sorry, they give out something like 4-8 free games a month. Occasionally 1 or 2 of them are worth playing. Funnily enough, the current game I'm playing is one of the two I've bought from Epic...they gave out Death Stranding for free and I spent $10 on the Director's Cut upgrade because I ended up liking DS that much.

Comment

Epic Games is on Linux? Cool!!!! How long have they supported us?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I did my part...by launching Epic via Lutris via Steam for controller profile support...

Sorry not sorry, they give out something like 4-8 free games a month. Occasionally 1 or 2 of them are worth playing. Funnily enough, the current game I'm playing is one of the two I've bought from Epic...they gave out Death Stranding for free and I spent $10 on the Director's Cut upgrade because I ended up liking DS that much.
        I also played the game for quite some time.
        I really like the graphics, story and cinematics..
        But the delivery of shipments/packages just got boring over time.
        Sometimes you get to fight some bad guys or it starts raining and the demons appear... But most of the time you're just crossing the landscape with a huge backpack from facility to another.

Comment

The Steam Survey results for July show Windows 10 64-bit losing 1.56% marketshare and Linux gaining the healthy 0.52% of that.
          Would not be surprised if there was an overlap of users there. I imagine there's a good chunk of people who don't have TPM and don't care enough to get a new machine with one in it, nor feel like hacking around Win11's install check for it (that is unwise if you care about stability and support).

The likely explanation is when looking at the demographics and seeing Steam by Chinese users dropping 3.4% while the English usage picked up by 3.4%.
          This overlap is especially funny. I guess a lot of people in China are hopping on VPNs due to whatever stupid laws the CCP is passing right now.

Comment

Wooohhhoooo I really enjoy Steam on Linux. Most of the games I play run flawlessly out of the box these days (Satisfactory [via proton], Factorio, Civ). Still play a couple of big games on windows, just for the ray tracing (Cyberpunk) but even there its in a VM... but alas I dont think that shows up as such in the steam surveys.

With regards to the TPM... you can run WIndows 11 in a VM with a software TPM on any machine without one... I have done that and it runs well... except that its windows 11 and it sucks so badly I just went back to 10 anyway while removing the soft TPM so it wont update.

Comment

I just removed win11 and installed ChimeraOS on my new gaming pc.

except for a stupid bug in my Gigabyte mobo (which didnt let the pc going to sleep) and a weird bug that keeps me stuck in the game, this thing is running beautifully.

since it identifies as a deck, i wonder if its counted as such or something else and if its the later, i wonder if i will get a survey.

Hope they are counting it, because i want AMD numbers to go up, especially the gpu (7900 xtx).

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Epic Games is on Linux? Cool!!!! How long have they supported us?
                Epic is best accessed via Heroic Launcher, open source project:

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  Wooohhhoooo I really enjoy Steam on Linux. Most of the games I play run flawlessly out of the box these days (Satisfactory [via proton], Factorio, Civ). Still play a couple of big games on windows, just for the ray tracing (Cyberpunk) but even there its in a VM... but alas I dont think that shows up as such in the steam surveys.

With regards to the TPM... you can run WIndows 11 in a VM with a software TPM on any machine without one... I have done that and it runs well... except that its windows 11 and it sucks so badly I just went back to 10 anyway while removing the soft TPM so it wont update.
                  Why are you gaming on windows for the raytracing support? AFAIK it also works on Linux (and on AMD, it works even on non-rt cards such as those prior to RDNA2)

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Would not be surprised if there was an overlap of users there. I imagine there's a good chunk of people who don't have TPM and don't care enough to get a new machine with one in it, nor feel like hacking around Win11's install check for it (that is unwise if you care about stability and support).
                    Those people just run windows 10. There is absolutely no reason to install 11 over 10 anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X