Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Usage Spikes To Nearly 2% In July, Larger Marketshare Than Apple macOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame NVIDIA and Wayland issues aren't fully sorted out. Probably a lot of people having issues and running back to windows still due to said issues.
    For example the max 75hz issue exists for 4090 users ( and others ). Then there is the Gamescope xwayland system not working for nvidia users.
    One day...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Demands that other OS users do not denigrate Linux users.
      Takes a dump on Windows and macOS in the same post.

That's Linux users for you.
      "No one may say anything bad about my choice of OS but I have the right to shit on the two largest consumer and desktop OS"
      Hmm...

I'm speaking from my own experience. For me, Linux is better and has fewer hassles. For example installing a webcam does not require me to install software from supplied media, nor to find & download special software.

Am I wrong in thinking people are best advised to install antivirus software on Microsoft systems?

Do Apple & Microsoft allow you multiple virtual desktops as easily as Mate on Linux?

I remember testing out the first Apple Mac and the Apple Lisa. Found them very slow and a one button mouse restrictive. Then and now I found that I hated the 'we know best' attitude of Apple GUI designers. For this reason I moved from being a loyal GNOME 2 user to xfce and then to Mate -- as I found GNOME 3 a Triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Do Apple & Microsoft computers have the option to easily replace the default Desktop Environment? Do they have a Desktop Environment customizable as Mate?

I used to support a project management package on 'Windows 3.1.1'. Before that I was using MS-DOS computers and MainFrames (I have 'fond' memories of the ICL 4/72).

I was using Apple & Microsoft computers years before I ever came across Linux. In fact I've being using computers for over 50 years, and used over 10 distinctly different O/S's. So I have a broader perspective than most people here.

If you feel that an Apple or Microsoft Desktop computer is best for you, fine. Surely I'm allowed to find that Linux best for me???

So this is hardly shitting on 'the two largest consumer and desktop OS'. I'm simply stating the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

As I said:

You are IT stuff. Normal user don't know words like 'PostgreSQL ', 'gcc ' or 'Eclipse'.

When I say desktop linux is bad I mean the average user, not an IT person. These can be found perfectly on any system. A good friend of mine uses and is a fan of BSD. But at least he doesn't keep saying it's better than windows - he just likes it better - that's all.

And the number of problems, e.g. with laptops, is large. Just take a look:
        Laptop/HP - ArchWiki (archlinux.org)

In addition, for example, some Porton games work on Ubuntu, others on Manjaro, etc. A normal user's head would ache from this.

On Windows hardware works, programs work, games work.......
        I'm going by my own experience and by what I've read. You seem to be totally ignoring the host of problems that beset users of Microsoft systems! Of course Linux is not perfect-- but for what I do, the way I want to work-- Linux is best.

These days I do very little programming and spend far more time browsing the web, dealing with email, and writing stories for competitions (never got a first place, but a few 2nd's, 3rd's, & commended) and my own amusement.

So most of the time, I am a 'normal user'.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Shame NVIDIA and Wayland issues aren't fully sorted out. Probably a lot of people having issues and running back to windows still due to said issues.
          For example the max 75hz issue exists for 4090 users ( and others ). Then there is the Gamescope xwayland system not working for nvidia users.
          One day...
          Not issues that have plagued me.

Just as well there is a choice, you can use the system you feel is best for you.

Personally, I don't see the point spending money on a system that is both a lot more expensive and that has more problems than the system I use now. For you, and some others, the trade offs will be different. I'm not trying to force you to use Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by nivag View Post

Hmm...

I'm speaking from my own experience. For me, Linux is better and has fewer hassles. For example installing a webcam does not require me to install software from supplied media, nor to find & download special software.

Am I wrong in thinking people are best advised to install antivirus software on Microsoft systems?

Do Apple & Microsoft allow you multiple virtual desktops as easily as Mate on Linux?

I remember testing out the first Apple Mac and the Apple Lisa. Found them very slow and a one button mouse restrictive. Then and now I found that I hated the 'we know best' attitude of Apple GUI designers. For this reason I moved from being a loyal GNOME 2 user to xfce and then to Mate -- as I found GNOME 3 a Triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Do Apple & Microsoft computers have the option to easily replace the default Desktop Environment? Do they have a Desktop Environment customizable as Mate?

I used to support a project management package on 'Windows 3.1.1'. Before that I was using MS-DOS computers and MainFrames (I have 'fond' memories of the ICL 4/72).

I was using Apple & Microsoft computers years before I ever came across Linux. In fact I've being using computers for over 50 years, and used over 10 distinctly different O/S's. So I have a broader perspective than most people here.

If you feel that an Apple or Microsoft Desktop computer is best for you, fine. Surely I'm allowed to find that Linux best for me???

So this is hardly shitting on 'the two largest consumer and desktop OS'. I'm simply stating the truth.
            And I will have every right to crap on Linux users since Windows and macOS does things perfectly for me but Linux simply can't, and Linux users actually believe that not being able to do the things Windows and macOS can do is a "good thing".

And if your idea of "better" and "broader perspective" is about flexibility to muck around with GUIs, continue preaching to cows.

Comment

Rather terrible. I first used Linux around 2000. 23 years later it has 3%.

Meanwhile, macOS jumped to 15%.

Linux has a very slow pace for a 'better' and free system.​ ​
              So you're comparing the growth of systems with...

On one side, an OS which is compatible with around 20 different hardware (most of which being variational upgrades of the same basis), benefits from dedicated design and documentation teams and most importantly intense marketing to bring billions of dollars by managing to sell at overprice.

On another, an OS which is compatible with around 200 000 different pieces of hardware, pushes development upgrades aiming for efficiency / performance / maintainability / compatibility first AND maintains the system operational for all those hardware during at least 20 years.

And you don't see any bias in the comparison? Impressive. XD

I'll say it straight for you: if Linux had had only 1% of the marketing Microsoft or Apple had 20 years ago (especially being preconfigured on *good* consumer computers), they would have steamrolled them in 10 years, because we would have had that time what we have today with Valve (and to some extent Dell): one or two manufacturers showing that as long as they don't mess up with drivers for the hardware they provide, Linux is a far better platform overall.

I have the impression that only IT employees use linux, not normal users.

And sometimes the families of IT employees are forced to use linux. Eg I forced linux on my sister . But I only use Windows now (since WSL I got rid of linux on my main computers).​
              I'll have to be the exception then. I came to work in IT because I love it, but I was a law student originally, and I started using Linux before even ending high school. Fun fact is: I'm certain that without the drivers problems, or if laptops had been sold with at the time, everyone I showed Linux to during my studies would have switched without hesitation: the offering in ergonomics compared to Windows and Mac OS, especially at the time (but still overall true today), was so much magnitudes better that they were amazed at how efficient and most importantly how *adaptable to their way of thinking and working* the interface was.

Comment

Originally posted by nivag View Post

I'm going by my own experience and by what I've read. Wydaje się, że całkowicie ignorujesz mnóstwo problemów, które nękają użytkowników systemów Microsoft!
                Compared to linux, the amount is negligible.

Only the fact that 85% of the world uses Windows makes it loud.​

So most of the time, I am a 'normal user'.
                LOL. Which 'normal user' has discuss account on Phoronix???

Mechanics, artists or IT member after working hours they still know more in their fields.​

Comment

As I said:

You are IT stuff. Normal user don't know words like 'PostgreSQL ', 'gcc ' or 'Eclipse'.

When I say desktop linux is bad I mean the average user, not an IT person. These can be found perfectly on any system. A good friend of mine uses and is a fan of BSD. But at least he doesn't keep saying it's better than windows - he just likes it better - that's all.

And the number of problems, e.g. with laptops, is large. Just take a look:
                  Laptop/HP - ArchWiki (archlinux.org)

In addition, for example, some Porton games work on Ubuntu, others on Manjaro, etc. A normal user's head would ache from this.

On Windows hardware works, programs work, games work.......
                  Where I work everyone uses Linux on the desktop, no problems. Wife who is 100% non IT uses Linux on her laptop and I have to provide far more support for her iPad than her laptop.

Your comment about proton does not make sense, which game in proton works on Manjaro but not on Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                    Your comment about proton does not make sense, which game in proton works on Manjaro but not on Ubuntu?
                    Eg:
                    Steam: Some game dont work - Support / Gaming - Manjaro Linux Forum

Known issue, distros are not compatible with each other so will create other problems with games or programs.

In fact, on my sister's Mint, Gimp or Shotcut (i don't remember), downloaded from the repository(!), did not want to start. Only Flatpack helped.

Compared to Windows or MacOS, linux desktop is software crap.​

Comment

Eg:
                      Steam: Some game dont work - Support / Gaming - Manjaro Linux Forum

Known issue, distros are not compatible with each other so will create other problems with games or programs.

In fact, on my sister's Mint, Gimp or Shotcut (i don't remember), downloaded from the repository(!), did not want to start. Only Flatpack helped.

Compared to Windows or MacOS, linux desktop is software crap.​
                      that is games working in Ubuntu but not in Manjaro, did you write the opposite by mistake?

edit: reading the full thread and the issue was not proton not working in Manjaro but this specific user trying to run games from a NTFS partition in proton and stumbling upon rights issues. So it wasn't about proton games working in X but not in Y either. If you want me to find people on Windows that also have problems launching games you can just get into a random Steam discussion page and find lots of people.
                      Last edited by F.Ultra; 03 August 2023, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X