No announcement yet.

Steam Deck Goes On Sale For Steam's Spring Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved my PS Vita back in the day, but as much as I'd like a Steam Deck I barely get time to play and I rarely travel by any method which I could actually utilise a Steam Deck.

One question, though, for owners: how fast is it to wake up? Basically, could I do what I did with my Vita and be gaming two seconds after waking it up?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Neither is a cheap laptop for a fraction of the price and probably 10x the specs (and screen size).

So I don't really think "openness" is what the Steam DRM platform users are going for as a market.
      I would definitely like a link pointing to where that laptop is so i can insta-buy it....

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
        I loved my PS Vita back in the day, but as much as I'd like a Steam Deck I barely get time to play and I rarely travel by any method which I could actually utilise a Steam Deck.

One question, though, for owners: how fast is it to wake up? Basically, could I do what I did with my Vita and be gaming two seconds after waking it up?
        It's quite fast, so long as you don't have a number of applications open. Interestingly, if you have a large number of applications open, it takes longer. ~2 seconds sitting at the library, ~3 on desktop or with a game open. ~5 with Firefox, dolphin, and konsole open. I suspect part of how it handles sleep so well is done custom arrangement using SIGSTOP and SIGSTART on all running applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

Its Zen 2 based so it's kinda dated. I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a hardware update coming soon and they're clearing the warehouse.
          I might be wrong but I thought the reason the Steam Deck custom Zen 2 apu performance is holding up so well against newer Zen 3 apu's was because it uses LPDDR5 unlike the majority of Zen 2 apu's that can only use DDR4.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

While playing "The Witcher 3" I guess about 5s but I now enabled the PIN unlock (+ 5s) so I guess it takes me over all 20s - 30s to sit down in the bus and start playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
              It's quite fast, so long as you don't have a number of applications open. Interestingly, if you have a large number of applications open, it takes longer. ~2 seconds sitting at the library, ~3 on desktop or with a game open. ~5 with Firefox, dolphin, and konsole open. I suspect part of how it handles sleep so well is done custom arrangement using SIGSTOP and SIGSTART on all running applications.
              Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
              While playing "The Witcher 3" I guess about 5s but I now enabled the PIN unlock (+ 5s) so I guess it takes me over all 20s - 30s to sit down in the bus and start playing.
              Thank you both!

Comment

I missed the offer

I ordered mine on Sunday night, and got it a few minutes ago (in Spain). The shipping was really fast, considering all the issues it had in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by dc740 View Post
                  I missed the offer

I ordered mine on Sunday night, and got it a few minutes ago (in Spain). The shipping was really fast, considering all the issues it had in the past.
                  week earlier access = +10% -- now you need to play the heck out of it in the first week to make it worth the 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

They did mention that there wouldn't be any new hardware with bumped specs for years. Also, based on a recent comparison from Digital Foundry this Zen 2 APU is doing relatively well against Zen 3 when you compare the same power bracket, so the APU at least is still in a good shape and isn't expected to be replaced anytime soon. But maybe they are planning a new Steam Deck with the same APU but other updated hardware components (screen, battery, etc).
                    A new APU with Zen 4 (or 5), 3D Vcache and the yet to be RDNA 4 would certainly be very interesting to see.
                    I do hope RDNA will become powerful enough to enable raytracing on the future steam deck evolutions without anahilating the performance.

Comment

Raytracing is overrated. Especially on such a tiny and low resolution screen, what is the point of having RT? It is a handheld, you won't get to appreciate the graphical fidelity anyway. Far better to improve framerates and make more advanced games fluid.

Comment

Working...
                      X