Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Deck Goes On Sale For Steam's Spring Sale

Phoronix: Steam Deck Goes On Sale For Steam's Spring Sale

Valve today started their first-ever Steam Spring Sale that runs through next week. In addition to sales on games, this is the first time Valve has offered the Steam Deck at a discounted price...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First I was like, "1 year already?", then I forgot about the short supply and people didn't get their Steam Deck right away. Felt like it was at fall people got their Decks on board.
    Either way, Valve and their sales, nothing new but always appreciated.

Comment

Does this mean the Deck is not selling as well as Valve hopes? I find it strange that they discount a product that is already lower price than the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Does this mean the Deck is not selling as well as Valve hopes? I find it strange that they discount a product that is already lower price than the competition.
        It is lower price because it is effectively subsidised hardware for the Steam DRM platform. This is where they will make most of their profits on gamers from.

So you really need to compare it like for like against other subsidised hardware (i.e the Stadia, DigitalDRM-only consoles) which are generally cheap so it doesn't stand out too well.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 16 March 2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

"This item is not available for reservation in your country"

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

It is lower price because it is effectively subsidised hardware for the Steam DRM platform. This is where they will make most of their profits on gamers from.

So you really need to compare it like for like against other subsidised hardware (i.e the Stadia, DigitalDRM-only consoles) which are generally cheap so it doesn't stand out too well.
            Except that you can run anything you want on the Deck and it isn't locked down in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Its Zen 2 based so it's kinda dated. I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a hardware update coming soon and they're clearing the warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

Its Zen 2 based so it's kinda dated. I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a hardware update coming soon and they're clearing the warehouse.
                In about 2 years I guess. Gaming PC/laptop logic doesn't work with a device like this. It's more like a console and there R&D team is to small to crank out one over 1-2 years. IMHO, 2-4 years is more realistic with maybe minor revisions every 1-2 years.
                Last edited by slalomsk8er; 16 March 2023, 04:56 PM.

Comment

If they want to move more units they could sell it in more regions (like here in Australia!)

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

In about 2 years I guess. Gaming PC/laptop logic doesn't work with a device like this. It's more like a console and there R&D team is to small to crank out one over 1-2 years. IMHO, 2-4 years is more realistic with maybe minor revisions every 1-2 years.
                    Also, AFAIK they are working on a new VR headset, likely based on the Steam Deck's software and SOC (google "Valve Deckard"), so an updated Steam Deck probably wouldn't come until a bit after that launched.

Comment

Working...
                    X