Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks To Valve, HDR Beginning To Work For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Thanks To Valve, HDR Beginning To Work For Linux Gaming

Thanks to Valve's incredible work on Steam Play and investing in low-level Linux graphics stack improvements, the latest milestone being achieved is HDR (High Dynamic Range) support beginning to work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is huge! Hopefully we'll see it for video playback soon as well.

Comment

Way earlier than expected!! I'm still assimilating the fact I can use 10 bits on sway. It looks great.

Comment

It's all exciting until you understand that without corporate money and real funding Linux has little to no chance of achieving major milestones or becoming a real alternative to Windows/MacOS. The Linux kernel became mainly a commercial project over a decade ago and nowadays over 95% of contributions to it are from corporations. Gnome and Wayland are almost entirely on the shoulders of RedHat employees.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          It's all exciting until you understand that without corporate money and real funding Linux has little to no chance of achieving major milestones or becoming a real alternative to Windows/MacOS. The Linux kernel became mainly a commercial project over a decade ago and nowadays over 95% of contributions to it are from corporations.
          Linux has no alternatives. Macos with its miserable market share? Good joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

This graph shows the market share of operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

At 5.53% vs. 1.11% for Linux.

Not sure what you meant by "Linux has no alternatives". On supercomputers and in Androids (as a tiny part of them)? Yes. Everywhere else? Not sure about that.

Comment

I believe macOS would have much bigger gaming marketshare if they won't be such ricks and implemented Vulkan - the main reason Proton not exists on macOS nowadays.

Comment

Hmm, sure you want to compare marketshare using Linux??

I'd settle with a DE that's not broken or terribly laggy.. and often both. If embedded/Realtime wasn't a hobby if mine I would run a Linux DE in a VM (or not at all).
                ​​​​​​
                and for the smartasses: yes, that's not a problem of "Linux the Kernel", but the software stack for desktop systems.

My holdout for not owning a Mac is it's closed ecosystem, and there is hope the EU will crack that open.
                It would be a terrific system otherwise.

Comment

I don't own and I do not plan to buy a HDR monitor but it is still nice!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    This is huge! Hopefully we'll see it for video playback soon as well.
                    I agree!
                    I'm waiting for the HDR support for video playback too, actually more than for gaming.
                    Especially since

Comment

Working...
                    X