Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anux View Post
    it doesn't even have full sRGB support
    Pretty much every display (apart from that of the Steam Deck...) has potentially good sRGB/rec709 coverage after calibration these days (if 99% or 100% doesn't matter).
    Probably there are also cheap-ish models that can do ~90% Display-P3 that typically is targeted by games for HDR output (is it?). Though HDR is 100% pointless without luminance decoupled from color (aka OLED), otherwise image can't be anything but distorted garbage vs. SDR.
    Last edited by aufkrawall; 03 January 2023, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Bullshit, that monitor has zero HDR capabilitys, ...
      No monitor currently implements the full HDR colourspace BT.2020. Not even OLEDs can fill it out as far as I am aware of. The best ones can do 100% sRGB, 100% P3 and some of the Adobe RGB colourspace. BT.2020 is an even larger colourspace.

How a monitor with HDR10 support maps the 10-bit colour information onto its own range of colours depends entirely on the display. Monitors that do 99%-100% sRGB can often display more colours, i.e. more red, green and/or blue colours.

When sRGB was introduced could CRTs only do 65% or so of it. Even the latest generations of CRTs could only get to 85% iirc.

That even cheap displays now have support for HDR10 is completely acceptable and wanted. Other than one's ignorance is there no reason to be freaked out about it.
      Last edited by sdack; 03 January 2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

This graph shows the market share of operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

At 5.53% vs. 1.11% for Linux.
        Lolwut? I mean: 5.53% sure is more than double of what Linux has, but it's barely worth talking about, esp. since it's 5.53% only despite the backing and development by one of the biggest companies on the planet…
        Last edited by Vistaus; 03 January 2023, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Hmm, sure you want to compare marketshare using Linux??

I'd settle with a DE that's not broken or terribly laggy.. and often both. If embedded/Realtime wasn't a hobby if mine I would run a Linux DE in a VM (or not at all).
          ​​​​​​
          and for the smartasses: yes, that's not a problem of "Linux the Kernel", but the software stack for desktop systems.

My holdout for not owning a Mac is it's closed ecosystem, and there is hope the EU will crack that open.
          It would be a terrific system otherwise.
          macos isn't as closed as people make it out to be, it has its quirks though. it's great for work, but it can be infuriating at times. not everything always works perfectly well, and when something goes wrong, it's the most stupid thing at the worst time.

as for linux under VM, chromeos. grab a chromebook (or install chromeos flex), disable android apps to save resources (chromeos flex doesn't have them anyway), and you'll end up with stable, useful, secure OS that gives you flexibility thanks to linux VM when you need it, without sacrificing overall polish one expects from a professional solution.

written on my inexpensive acer chromebook, with a mac sitting right next to me.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see this maybe in a second gen Steam Deck too. It'd be really cool to have backdrop ambient light aware HDR tone mapping on a nice bright QD-OLED or similar, in a handheld.

I would love to work on the software that chooses the tone mapping parameters for that as well, I think it could be done really well, maybe with a bit of machine learning and/or compositor feedback as well (i.e. looking at the content of the screen to choose less-jarring frames to change the tonemapping).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              I'm a lot more interested in very deep colors (e.g. 10/12 bits per channel) than HDR.
              HDR supports 10- and 12-bits per pixel. The BT.2020 colourspace is non-linear and can show darker colours - if this is what you mean by deeper - when compared to sRGB/BT.709 aka SDR.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                It'll be interesting to see this maybe in a second gen Steam Deck too. It'd be really cool to have backdrop ambient light aware HDR tone mapping on a nice bright QD-OLED or similar, in a handheld.

I would love to work on the software that chooses the tone mapping parameters for that as well, I think it could be done really well, maybe with a bit of machine learning and/or compositor feedback as well (i.e. looking at the content of the screen to choose less-jarring frames to change the tonemapping).
                $2k steam deck? not happening.

it has shitty screen for a reason.

Comment

oh oh oh, my gaming PC will be finally free from the evil clutches of M$!!!

Thank you Valve and specially Our Holy Lord GabeN!

And of course the devs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

macos isn't as closed as people make it out to be, it has its quirks though. it's great for work, but it can be infuriating at times. not everything always works perfectly well, and when something goes wrong, it's the most stupid thing at the worst time.

as for linux under VM, chromeos. grab a chromebook (or install chromeos flex), disable android apps to save resources (chromeos flex doesn't have them anyway), and you'll end up with stable, useful, secure OS that gives you flexibility thanks to linux VM when you need it, without sacrificing overall polish one expects from a professional solution.
                    Kinda true, but has it own problems. Doesnt support H265 videos or HEIC photos, wasnt able to use qemu so far (need to run the VM with elevated privileges so that `binfmt` can be registered, needs dev mode AFAIK)

Comment

What does it mean exactly? Kernel interfaces for it now are better, Wayland compositors support it and so on? The post itself is very vague.

Comment

Working...
                      X