Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Hits New Multi-Year High, AMD Powering ~40% Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

On desktop, yes, nVidia isn't expecting to be as dominating. On laptops, however, the story is very different since none of the Linux hardware vendors sell any laptop with AMD dGPU, not even a single AMD laptop is available from any Linux vendor.
    System76, Tuxedo and Slimbook all offer AMD laptops. It's a different story for AMD dGPUs though, granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      It's not because you hate it that it's "shitty". It just doesn't work for you.
      Not only for me, for many users how tries it on cutting edge hardware.
      As long Ubuntu is aimed and recognized as the distro with is a "go to distro for new Linux users" I will call it shitty and it is because it does a really bad job and this, many new Linux users come with new hardware and Ubuntu way to often doesn't work on it where a distro with stable but update kernel/graphics stack would work.
      Ubuntu should provide a "Ubuntu Desktop" with by default gets fast stable kernel/graphics stack and that should be a got to distro for new users. That what it now provides should be named "Ubuntu Business" or something like that.
      Last edited by dragonn; 02 November 2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
        I totally disagree.
        Your comparison with Android is invalid since Android has nothing to do with the Linux Desktop while SteamOS is just a re-branded desktop Linux distribution.
        All Valve did brought a lot to the Linux Desktop already and it's going to get even better if the Steam Deck is a success.
        The below is wrong, please dismiss, I wasn't aware, sorry.

No, it's not. It will run Steam as a primary and probably the only user facing application with pretty much nothing which is close to the average desktop. Also Steam will have its own compositor which is Steam Deck specific.
        • No files or folders management.
        • No multitasking per se.
        • No system tray.
        • A ton of other things normal desktop users do.
        You seem to be terribly confused about the term "Desktop Linux".
        Last edited by birdie; 02 November 2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Ironically the Chinese people prefer windows, I can never get over that fact given how the CCP hates the West so much. You'd think Linux be the ultimate winner in China+territories around it. But I guess they'd rather pick a capitalistic OS over a open-source solution... puzzling and perplexing at the same time!
          It's less that China prefers Windows and more that the share of PC in gaming is much higher in China than in most of the world. PC gamers in China also primarily play in gaming cafes were the machines are all Windows boxes running 24/7. Running Steam 24/7 will skew numbers as they get hit up by the survey a lot more often than any personal machine.

As for the latest drop in these machines my guess would be further mitigation work in removing how these machines skew the figures (they've already changed the way survey targets are selected) and/or new COVID-related restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Ubuntu is doing it wrong, as a single person I can not do more about it the not recommending it.
            And yes "Linux should cater to people and hardware", I definitely agree WITH is why Ubuntu should provide BY default kernel and graphics stack updates and not let users wait half a year to get updates with are at this point also of of date. Most of the time you need to wait at least where one year after getting new hardware for ubuntu to pick up updates you hardware might need. And that's bad, super bad, but that problem is specific to Ubuntu, not Linux in general and I can not do more for a new Linux users then write "don't use Ubuntu", not gonna change how Ubuntu works.
            It's all very weird with Linux. Either you have the latest and buggiest or relatively old and relatively bug-free. There's no middle ground

If drivers were decoupled from the kernel it wouldn't be an issue but that's not going to happen with the current Linux kernel development model, "stable API nonsense" and such. It would also allow to run any drivers you want vs. being forced to run a specific kernel release.

I'm eagerly waiting for Zircon (Google's Fuchsia kernel) which promises stable kernel APIs, also it's a micro kernel, so it can survive drivers' crashes unlike Linux where they are fatal.
            Last edited by birdie; 02 November 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              No, it's not. It will run Steam as a primary and probably the only user facing application with pretty much nothing which is close to the average desktop. Also Steam will have its own compositor which is Steam Deck specific.
              • No system tray.
              Big big news today: Valve has announced the Steam Deck–a handheld gaming device running KDE Plasma under the hood! This is a big deal, folks. By using a Linux-based OS, Valve is hugely improv…

birdie absolutely nothing right in that list. Steam Deck does not have it own compositor its using KDE plasma. Yes it auto runs Steam full screen with KDE desktop behind it.

Yes it does have multi tasking and it does have folder management. Yes it does have on screen keyboard support.

Comment

Either you have the latest and buggiest or relatively old and relatively bug-free.
                I know that isn't every one experience but for me the latest never was the buggiest on new, fresh hardware.
                About out of the and the ""stable API nonsense" ", it would be nice when the kernel devs finally move like the rest of the world to doing regular PR, the mailing list stuff is where many out-of-tree module dies

Comment

• No system tray.
                  Why are you so vocal, when you appear to be so wrong. Surely you didn't just pull this out of your ass, what exactly are you trying to say?

Comment

• No system tray.
                    Seems like you forgot Steam Deck have a dock mode and when it's "docked" you basicaly have standard KDE desktop experience

Comment

• No system tray.
                      The Steam Deck under SteamOS comes with a Desktop Mode you can activate at any time by simply plugging it to an external monitor.
                      It comes with a fully functional KDE Plasma environment with all you listed above.
                      You clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X