Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Hits New Multi-Year High, AMD Powering ~40% Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
    We're gonna see unfathomably high Linux share on Steam. I'm talking 2.5, even 3%.
    I also expect Linux to overtake MacOS by the end of 2023 once the Steam Deck reaches end users hands.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I've done my best to help new comers moving over to Linux; many are gamers who just want the OS to get out of the way so they can game.
      Unfortunately many (inc Linus) stumble quite badly as they hit problems that shouldn't happen; many developers under Linux claim nobody will have this or that problem, but many do.
      I think Linux desktop usage is still not quite there, fragmented and half implemented features hurt its growth.
      I can't give specific issues since they are so numerous and obviously many can be worked around, but that is beside the point.
      General desktop users DO NOT LIKE WORK AROUND'S, they expect things to just work or be quickly fixed regardless of how unrealistic that is for open-source projects.
      Specific? Look no further.

Comment

I have no idea what your smoking, and don't care. The fact is Linux is free also and allows for more customisation AND no telemetrics (spying & back-doors) in background.
        There's no need to be passive-aggressive.

Roughly 0% of people care or know about telemetry. Open Source Firefox has a metric ton of telemetry by default.

Spying and backdoors are a product of your imagination, otherwise major companies and all governments of the world wouldn't have used Windows as their standard OS.

As for Linux being "free" I'm very doubtful. People spend literally dozens of hours making it work - if it's "free" for you, then maybe your definition of "free" is not what the rest of the world thinks of it. On the other hand an OEM version of Windows 10 costs something like $10 on Ebay. That's nothing.

Customization is the only thing I'll give to it, but absolute most people work with ... applications. They couldn't care less how their OS looks as long as it does its job.
        Last edited by birdie; 02 November 2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Run good distro with provides recent stable kernels not some SHITTY out-of-date ubuntu.
          The issue you are talking about is fixed in recent kernels.
          That's a constant theme in all threads about serious Linux issues.
          • You're doing this wrong (starting with the "wrong" hardware)
          • You need to be doing this (ending with using Linux X.YY-rc0 and patching it)
          Always. Not a single Linux fan will ever admit that maybe Linux should cater to people and hardware, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post

I also expect Linux to overtake MacOS by the end of 2023 once the Steam Deck reaches end users hands.
            And what's exactly good about this "achievement"? Will it propel Linux on the desktop? It will not - absolute most Steam Deck users wouldn't care less that it runs Linux under the hood, just like close to 99.99% of Android users don't know that they run the Linux kernel.

Comment

General desktop users DO NOT LIKE WORK AROUND'S, they expect things to just work or be quickly fixed regardless of how unrealistic that is for open-source projects.
              Your post is overall agreeable, and I don't mean to nitpick, but this sentence isn't quite right. They *put up* with workarounds if said workarounds consist of downloading a shady GUI in Visual Basic that does things at the press of one or two buttons, or simply downloading a random file and traversing a dozen directory levels to put it in its place, or fiddling with a "registry".
              They just don't want to do it all over again after having just spent years doing that on Windows.

So, certainly the vast Linux ecosystem of DEs etc. should aspire to a higher standard. That, I think, would be fair to say.

Cheers and happy gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Always. Not a single Linux fan will ever admit that maybe Linux should cater to people and hardware, not the other way around.
                Ubuntu is doing it wrong, as a single person I can not do more about it the not recommending it.
                And yes "Linux should cater to people and hardware", I definitely agree WITH is why Ubuntu should provide BY default kernel and graphics stack updates and not let users wait half a year to get updates with are at this point also of of date. Most of the time you need to wait at least where one year after getting new hardware for ubuntu to pick up updates you hardware might need. And that's bad, super bad, but that problem is specific to Ubuntu, not Linux in general and I can not do more for a new Linux users then write "don't use Ubuntu", not gonna change how Ubuntu works.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Hang on birdie Windows has a list of support hardware if you are not using that Microsoft with Window 11 is not going to give updates or help you out when it breaking. Of course Mac OS you have to buy with compatible hardware.

Birdie like it or not its not possible to cater for every single bit of computer hardware in existence.

Incompatible hardware is a valid issue that effects all operation systems.

Mac OS simple due to Nvidia not willing to hand over the information apple wants does not support Nvidia cards at all. This is not the only thing Mac OS simple goes totally no support at all. Yes there are other examples with Windows where hardware is not supported yet the hardware is supported by Mac OS and Linux.

Wrong hardware is a universal problem.

Comment

Since Phoronix is failing to push Free software principles, are there any guides online how to get your games running without that proprietary DRM Client?
                    Been a decade since I last logged in and freed my games using revemu, but that only applies to Valve Games and its not like they still produce games.

I dont care for Steam gaming, I want to use Linux.

Comment

Ironically the Chinese people prefer windows, I can never get over that fact given how the CCP hates the West so much. You'd think Linux be the ultimate winner in China+territories around it. But I guess they'd rather pick a capitalistic OS over a open-source solution... puzzling and perplexing at the same time!
                      Maybe because china don't enforce copyright, so companies can copy windows for free while in the west they can't? Because in china this gaming numbers come less from personal computers but from this gaming rooms or what do you call them? Internet cafes?

So when they would have to pay all then lisences they would maybe think differently, then I would assume their is a lot of competition so if you have a windows 100% free that plays 100% of games and you have another competitor that uses linux that is also free but only plays 95% of all games and some with less performance or other problems, the company using the free windows version would win, I assume?

Comment

Working...
                      X