• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avem View Post
    This is simply not true.
    Please check your facts.

Under Windows you can choose any version of drivers to install. You can even update them on the fly in the case of NVIDIA (AMD for some reasons always requires a reboot. sometimes even two, Intel also requires a reboot).
    So you need a separate piece of software to manage the GPU, and if you have a hybrid solution two. Why? Seriously?
    I like my GPU's as 'boring' as my CPU and network cards and 'just work' to their full potential.

Under Linux Mesa and the kernel are tied to your disto updates cadence and absolute most users have no expertise to install the version of drivers (mesa/kernel) they actually need. And then debugging what works and what doesn't under Linux is a PITA.
    Simply false.

All Linux distros come with good GPU drivers packaged. So no need for expertise.

Of course if you bought Nvidia, this may very well be the point where you start hating your life depending on your distro of choice.
    Still almost any distro packages the Nvidia driver and some may even ensure that your computer does not break and/or your DE can run under Wayland.
    But the, you bought Nvidia to run Linux.. ?

Comment

Originally posted by mozo View Post

Good joke. Linux was always "install and forget about it" unlike Windows. And Linux automatically installs and upgrades the drivers for decades. Educate yourself.
      it mostly was. but if you sit around on linux forums you'll see people who cannot even get their storage working, or having boot loops in the live media. or the live media randomly booting or hanging on startup.

quite often it boils down to hardware quirks, e.g. system has two sata controllers and one is a bit off. or some other trickery. sometimes there are regressions in the kernel used on the media or hardware requires something special to get working.

so maybe the 'forget about it' part is true, but the 'install' part is sometimes really tricky.

Comment

I play old games only, because for me personally, almost every PC game released after ~2010 is a soleless garbage. I also despise driver GUIs or "optimized for zoomers driver application features (in-game bullshit for video capture, pictures and other gimmicks)". Driver should be transparent software component for OS requiring no user intervention. GPU hardware should also automatically use smart and optimal work parameters requiring no user intervention (fortunately the latter one is somewhat true now with smart boost algorithms and stuff ).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that Linux is the best gaming platform for me personally, better than anything else ever. I'm super glad that Valve is developing Proton and it's basically the only reason I use Steam and purchase games in general, because of Valve supporting this niche case of mine (for their own benefit of course, like it was explained, but still, it benefits me too).

So yeah, I surely understand why Windows is superior gaming platform for the mainstream and it's fine, but for me it's a wise versa entirely.
        Last edited by drakonas777; 03 July 2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I tried to go back to Linux primarily for gaming last week, but gave up quickly. I have a RX 580 and was using openSUSE TW:
          • I have an Oculus Quest 2, so all PCVR gaming is out (ALVR was a jittery mess with a RX 580, but at least shows hope that it'll be possible at some point)
          • Can't use my Xbox Series X wireless controller (xow didn't work, and I don't care for wired)
          • Can't play DJMAX (xincode3/anticheat)
          • Can't log-into AoE2 DE (Xbox log-in doesn't do anything)
          • Can't play Halo MCC online (largest reason I bought it)
          • Can't play Star Wars Squadrons (PCVR and EAC)
          • RuneScape has audio issues and crashes at random (it's OpenGL, I had expected it to do better than it did)
          • Can't use OBS iOS camera (over USB)
          If I could do VR decently, I could possibly look past those other issues, but that still presents the main issue that gaming on Linux still has caveats, and generally no real advantage. The games I've tried that do work on Linux, work just as well if not better on Windows. Even anti-cheat is still a problem on Linux (Overwatch had a large Linux banwave recently, and even Valve with CS:GO had a trust drop issue with AMD users).

So for the foreseeable future, I dual-boot. Linux for general things and server administration, and Windows for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
            Linux is easier to install than Windows
            A Windows 10 install generally takes 6 clicks from a cold boot to the OOBE set-up. I've done it more than enough times to know

Confirm the language, click Install, agree to terms-of-use, custom install, select a HDD/SSD, install. An extra click is to choose the edition if you have a custom ei.cfg or aren't using a firmware product key.

Linux isn't much different either to be fair, assuming you're using Ubuntu or Fedora. openSUSE has a lot more clicks (for more options), but isn't too complex. Overall, ease-of-installation isn't really worthwhile to compare.

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
            ...And if you come to find out that your motherboard doesn't support TPM while trying to install Windows 11, then Linux is light years ahead of windows in terms of easy of use on the clean install. At that point, Linux blows Windows out of the water.
            Most modern Ryzen and Skylake+ machines have TPM 2.0, which is either enabled by-default or takes a few seconds to enable in firmware settings.

Originally posted by mppix View Post

The (GPU) driver handling (and implementations) are certainly better on Linux vs Win. Who wants to manually maintain a driver?
            And if anything, only Nvidia drivers come with a gotchas on Linux. Who should we blame?
            Driver handling overall is better on Windows. You don't want to maintain a driver? Microsoft designed Windows Update with Windows 10 just for you! During the OOBE (or shortly afterwards if you get through it quick with a slow ISP), a display driver will be downloaded. No open-source vs proprietary decisions, no concern about how dual-graphics laptops are configured, no concern about Xorg vs (X)Wayland.

Who wants to manually maintain a driver?
            I do. There's been a few times on Windows where I've had to switch drivers due to an issue.

On Linux, if any major part of the graphics stack updates (Mesa, kernel), good luck trying to downgrade it. No way an inexperienced user is going to be able to do this without opening a Terminal, and in most cases, having to go find some arbitrary package name (like Mesa-libGL1-21.1.4-1236.1.i586), force install it, and lock the package to prevent it from just being updated again. And this requires trial-and-error through browsing websites.

On Windows, it's as easy as downloading an older driver, and installing it (AMD's drivers provide an option to factory reset and remove the existing driver during install).

Meanwhile on Linux, you have different instructions depending on the distro and NVIDIA, and good luck if you have a laptop with an Intel iGPU/NVIDIA dGPU combo. For AMD, the past month or two I have some unknown color brightness/saturation issue that only affects the AMDGPU Xorg DDX driver, which comes pre-installed on Ubuntu 21.04, Fedora 34, and openSUSE TW. The fix for this is to uninstall AMDGPU and go to modesetting, and I only found this out by trial-and-error.

Comment

Nobody drive you to Ubuntu by force. On Arch I can install whatever NVIDIA driver version I want with a blink of an eye. With terminal, sure, but it's a child's play:
              Code:
              git clone https://github.com/Frogging-Family/nvidia-all.git
              cd nvidia-all
              makepkg -si (choose a version)
              sudo mkinitcpio -P
              Done.

Comment

Well, I think all it takes is a single AAA title that can't be played on windo$e.

Comment

Since when are windows GPU drivers and games not patched for each other?
                  It just happens more behind the scene...
                  Of course but thats the point!

Its not even really possible to do this on Linux because the graphics drivers are tied to the release cycle of the Linux kernel which is incredibly flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by mozo View Post

Yet another good joke. Mint is kids distribution, don't blame Linux for Mint's flaws.
                    Joke?? GUI in distribution like UBUNTU or Mint has enormous less bugs than Arch, Slackware.

You are just fanboys who use arch or slack and you divide linux comunity.

Comment

Nope, nobody here's talk about Arch. And DE is the same DE on every distro, so you don't know what you are talking about at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X