Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingora 0.1 Released As Cloudflare's Rust Code For Reliable & Fast Networked Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Faster to start, maybe. But it wouldn't be any faster actually routing anything as with traditional config files it all gets stored in memory, same as a "compiled" config file.
    There is only a very small config file. Everything else is just code.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
      They omit mentioning something important, every time this project is referenced. The reason that it is faster than nginx, is not the use of Rust instead of C, but the use of Rust instead of Lua. It might be obvious for some people, but failing to mention it could mislead people to the wrong conclusion "Rust fast, C slow".

I am not making an argument that Rust is the wrong language for this project. I am trying to prevent Rust from taking credit for things that it does not deserve.
      I believe that was established long ago: both produce input for LLVM, so the executable code will be similar (not identical, of course). What )if any) speed advantage Rust could have over C is if it enables you to multithread some things you wouldn't dare to multithread without compiler's guarantees. Indirect gains, I would say.

Comment

So much discussion around that "0.1" when it's just following the semver standard (semver.org, point 4 if it's not obvious)...

Something can both be internally production-ready and not have a stable public API... It really doesn't sound weird to say "here is something we've been using in production but its public API is not finalized yet so don't rely on it".

(I, for one, loved the 0ver stuff, so much work and energy to make a point is admirable; and it also says a lot about laziness and the inability of certain projects to define and commit to an API.)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe that was established long ago: both produce input for LLVM, so the executable code will be similar (not identical, of course). What )if any) speed advantage Rust could have over C is if it enables you to multithread some things you wouldn't dare to multithread without compiler's guarantees. Indirect gains, I would say.
          From some entirely anecdotal tests I've done, the output is often actually identical between rust and clang for many functions. There are some instances where rust does a better job at autovectoring .

Comment

Working...
          X