Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingora 0.1 Released As Cloudflare's Rust Code For Reliable & Fast Networked Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Since your config file is technically compiled, it should be way faster (because the rust compiler can do a whole range of mad optimizations around what you wrote in your "config").
    ...and, as a general rule, I much prefer Rust to something like Lua or Python when you've got a Turing-complete config language. I like catching mistakes at compile time instead of run time.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
      Yeah, no. Putting an extra 0 is redundant just because enough dumb devs do so is pointless. You can have a "first" version, but you don't have a "zeroth" one. That's why SANE people start with version 1, or 1.0, or 1.0.0, or however grained you want it to be. It's basic logic, not very hard to grasp.

Comment

cloudflare? that thingy that often tells me i'm a robot cuz their captcha shit is broken af?

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Yeah, no. Putting an extra 0 is redundant just because enough dumb devs do so is pointless. You can have a "first" version, but you don't have a "zeroth" one. That's why SANE people start with version 1, or 1.0, or 1.0.0, or however grained you want it to be. It's basic logic, not very hard to grasp.
        you sorta can, like 0.1. Sure, you start with version 1 when the software is ready in the sense that all the major features are there and it's properly tested n stuff, but before that you're in the alpha/beta stages and versioning 0.X is a pretty common way to describe that state, so 0.1 means it's just pretty early alpha. Normally.

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
        I don't doubt Cloudflare's engineering skills nor their contribution, but a version number 0.1 and say it's production ready confuses me.
        Maybe it's just a side effect of the times, wht we consider production ready now is really different from what we considered production ready in the 90s (as in our standards are laughably low now, so 0.1 being used instead of 1.0 makes perfect sense, because most 1.0 software is broken garbage these days)
        Last edited by rabcor; 05 April 2024, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          Hope it will get support for Let'sEncrypt's Certbot, either officially through certbot or through a 3rd party plugin.
          Cloudflare itself supports using a number of CA solutions, including the (free to you) Letsencrypt and Google Trust Services certs for their proxy/load balancers which are now based on Pingora.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post

I do have to agree with Sethox, as despite using some of the programs listed I wasn't even aware of this type of versioning.
            I get the incentive (some programs have gotten insane versioning like Chrome and Firefox being at 123 and 124 for their stable releases respectively) and I get the meme but this just shifts the problem one digit to right behind the decimal. Additionally using "0." to indicate that the code is still in full on development is something that I picked up in college and I would assume is pretty common for others that use semantic versioning, which doesn't just disappear meaning you need to be aware if a program is using 0ver or is just in initial development.

And if the point is that I can't exceed 0, can I start with a negative number? -1 now becomes the indicator for initial development or hell use it as a count down to scare the shit out of people when it starts to approach 0.
            If you actually read that page you'll see it's written in a rather tongue-in-cheek fashion that is especially apparent in https://0ver.org/#featured-use-cases section. And it has a separate "real talk" section in About. Bottom line, 0ver is a joke, and even the author of that site agrees that CalVer is a better scheme if one has trouble picking a version.

Comment

zero ver has always been stupid to me

Comment

So FORTRAN good, C bad, huh?

And it's not "zeroth" it'd be more like "three percent", "ten percent", ... as it works its way up to "100%" of the next major release.

Anyway sales / marketing science is way ahead of computer science here -- they use the zeroth release (vaporware) as their starting point for hawking and hyping and scam selling that-which-doesn't-exist-yet (ever?) all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  cloudflare? that thingy that often tells me i'm a robot cuz their captcha shit is broken af?
                  Yeah. And then to add insult to injury they claim you've failed the "security" test.

Well, let's see,

A: I'm not connecting to unwanted / unexpected third-party sites that have zero relevance wrt. the site I'm trying to visit.

B: I'm not running YOUR scripts, or maybe none at all since I came for the text, not the scripts / malware / dancing monkeys / browser exploits.

Seems like that's the gold star perfect security / anti-phishing / anti-hijacking rating right there.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Yeah. And then to add insult to injury they claim you've failed the "security" test.​
                    It got me over on the https://www.linuxquestions.org/ site. Tried to post a small picture and ... "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing." after clicking on check box to show I am 'human'.... Duh ... Ok, so don't want me posting pics.... <shrug>
                    Last edited by rclark; 05 April 2024, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post

I do have to agree with Sethox, as despite using some of the programs listed I wasn't even aware of this type of versioning.
                      I get the incentive (some programs have gotten insane versioning like Chrome and Firefox being at 123 and 124 for their stable releases respectively) and I get the meme but this just shifts the problem one digit to right behind the decimal. Additionally using "0." to indicate that the code is still in full on development is something that I picked up in college and I would assume is pretty common for others that use semantic versioning, which doesn't just disappear meaning you need to be aware if a program is using 0ver or is just in initial development.

And if the point is that I can't exceed 0, can I start with a negative number? -1 now becomes the indicator for initial development or hell use it as a count down to scare the shit out of people when it starts to approach 0.
                      0ver.org is a site making fun of all of the projects that use SemVer, but never hit 1.0 even after hundreds of releases and decades of development. It's not a real versioning scheme.

Comment

Working...
                      X