Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingora 0.1 Released As Cloudflare's Rust Code For Reliable & Fast Networked Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Since your config file is technically compiled, it should be way faster (because the rust compiler can do a whole range of mad optimizations around what you wrote in your "config").
    Faster to start, maybe. But it wouldn't be any faster actually routing anything as with traditional config files it all gets stored in memory, same as a "compiled" config file.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      cloudflare? that thingy that often tells me i'm a robot cuz their captcha shit is broken af?
      )
      Found the robot imposter!

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Faster to start, maybe. But it wouldn't be any faster actually routing anything as with traditional config files it all gets stored in memory, same as a "compiled" config file.
        With "configuration by code" the compiler might be able to optimise it for the particular task, especially if LTO is used. On the other hand I really hope that it's not trying to become the suckless of web servers.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          With "configuration by code" the compiler might be able to optimise it for the particular task, especially if LTO is used. On the other hand I really hope that it's not trying to become the suckless of web servers.
          So it's better to suck more?

Anyway, I hope someone releases complete solutions based on that framework. Let's oxidize the World Wide Web!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            So it's better to suck more?
            It's more that their definition of what sucks less is very... strange.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What confuses me is what Pingora actually is. The GitHub page seems to suggest is more like a framework for building up a server rather than a standalone product, like nginx it replaces. But that would mean Couldflare didn't replace nginx with Pingora, but with something Pingora-powered.
              Correct on both accounts. For us mere mortals we may be able to use River in the future https://www.memorysafety.org/blog/introducing-river/

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                Correct on both accounts. For us mere mortals we may be able to use River in the future https://www.memorysafety.org/blog/introducing-river/
                pretty excitting and prossimo does some other neat things, cant wait to test this out

Comment

They omit mentioning something important, every time this project is referenced. The reason that it is faster than nginx, is not the use of Rust instead of C, but the use of Rust instead of Lua. It might be obvious for some people, but failing to mention it could mislead people to the wrong conclusion "Rust fast, C slow".

I am not making an argument that Rust is the wrong language for this project. I am trying to prevent Rust from taking credit for things that it does not deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

zero ver has always been stupid to me
                    Perhaps. Rust crates employ 0-based versioning. Since Pingora has been written in Rust, for consistency, Pingora also utilizes 0-based versioning.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwalker View Post

If you actually read that page you'll see it's written in a rather tongue-in-cheek fashion that is especially apparent in https://0ver.org/#featured-use-cases section. And it has a separate "real talk" section in About. Bottom line, 0ver is a joke, and even the author of that site agrees that CalVer is a better scheme if one has trouble picking a version.
                      Well I though it was a joke until I saw React Native and remember using for a project which threw me for a loop, even more when I kept seeing other things I have used before (Putty, MCLauncher, NeoVim) so then I started to doubt if it was a joke or not as it would be far off from the worst or dumbest thing I have seen online (and I was about to head of to bed so my judgement was already clouded). The about does clear up the confusion I guess.

Microchips in Vaccines, the earth is flat or less on the conspiracy side Ajit Pai and his take on Net Neutrality, 0ver seems extremely reasonable by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X