FFmpeg 7.0 Released With Native VVC Decoding & Multi-Threaded CLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Several reasons, none of them are because there are any proven patent claims to x264.
    1. There had been claims made against x264, obviously without any success. So some people were scared off
    2. Cisco is part of the MPEG LA and guarantees for no claims being made against OpenH264. The Videolan project can't give any such guarantees
    3. x264 is GPL 2+, which does make some people uncomfortable because of GPL's viral nature. Only since 2010 it's also allowed to have it under a proprietary license. OpenH264 is under a simplified BSD license
    4. OpenH264 first and foremost was made for Firefox for real time encoding for WebRTC. x264 wasn't able to handle this
    5. especially the people at Fedora are ridiculously paranoid. To an extent that they removed support for h264 hardware codecs just a few years back, after having them for god knows how many years, just like pretty much every distro and no claims ever being made.
    Repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. It doesn't even make logical sense that creating an open source encoder or decoder for a patent encumbered codec would magically make the codec not patent encumbered. I'm pretty sure the Director of Global Licensing for the MPEG LA knows what he is talking about, but I have a feeling you'll just move the goal posts again.

I read through the FAQ and can't find out if Free and Open Source
    developers and products need to license the MPEG-LA patents for
    MPEG-4 Visual. It was alleged (http://lwn.net/Articles/370985/)
    in a comment that royalties are only necessary for products sold,
    not for free products. Is this correct? Could you please comment
    on the licensing options for Free (e.g. GPL) and open source
    implementations of MPEG-4 Visual, specifically h.264? What about
    downstream users/developers/distributors of Free and open source
    software?
    I'll post your reply to the above comment list when I've received it.
    Thank you very much,

==========REPLY==========
    Subject: RE: Free and Open Source implementations of MPEG-4 Visual?
    Dear Joseph,
    Thank you for your message. We appreciate you contacting MPEG LA
    regarding our Licenses and I will be happy to assist you.

By way of background, I would like to point out that the Licenses
    offered by MPEG LA are provided as a convenience and an alternative to
    negotiating direct licenses with many individual patent owners. While
    MPEG LA offers the Licenses to the marketplace, it is the patent owners
    participating in our Licenses (not MPEG LA) who establish the License
    terms and royalty rates.

Our MPEG-4 Visual Patent Portfolio License includes 29 patent owners
    contributing more than 900 patents that are essential for use of the
    MPEG-4 Visual (Part 2) Standard. Our AVC Patent Portfolio License
    includes 25 patent owners contributing more than 1,000 patents that are
    essential for use of AVC/H.264 Standard ("MPEG-4 Part 10").

Under the Licenses, coverage is provided and rights are granted for (a)
    manufacturers to make and sell MPEG-4 Visual/AVC Products and (b) for
    such MPEG-4 Visual/AVC Products to be used to deliver MPEG-4 Visual/AVC
    Video content. The Licenses were set up this way so as to apportion the
    royalty at points in the product/service chain where value is received,
    and also to not place the full royalty burden on one party in the chain
    (e.g., an encoder maker).

In response to your specific question, under the Licenses royalties are
    paid on all MPEG-4 Visual/AVC products of like functionality, and the
    Licenses do not make any distinction for products offered for free
    (whether open source or otherwise)
    But, I do note that the Licenses
    addresses this issue by including annual minimum thresholds below which
    no royalties are payable in order to encourage adoption and minimize the
    impact on lower volume users. In addition, the Licenses also include
    maximum annual royalty caps to provide more cost predictability for
    larger volume users.

I would also like to mention that while our Licenses are not concluded
    by End Users, anyone in the product chain has liability if an end
    product is unlicensed. Therefore, a royalty paid for an end product by
    the end product supplier would render the product licensed in the hands
    of the End User, but where a royalty has not been paid, such a product
    remains unlicensed and any downstream users/distributors would have
    liability.

Therefore, we suggest that all End Users deal with products only from
    licensed suppliers. In that regard, we maintain lists of Licensees in
    Good Standing to each of our Licenses at http://www.mpegla.com.
    I hope this explanation is helpful. If you have further questions or
    would like additional information, please feel free to contact me
    directly.

Best regards,

Allen

Allen Harkness
    Director, Global Licensing
    MPEG LA

Comment

Lots of great goodies here
      • IAMF for immersive audio, an alternative to dolby and dts
      • D3D12VA will help windows users, I presume mostly game engines will make use of this, and probably some video players
      • VVC shame about the patent situation, it's rough. don't forget folk that FFMPEG disregards patent situation for licencing, it may be GPL compatible for some countries, but not others.
      • bsf for input is nice for a lot of things
      • ffplay with libplacebo is nice for a lot of things, will let users trial encode settings for things like tonemapping before encoding
      • android URI support is probably minor for a lot of people, but I can see a couple things making use of this, possibly MPV Android
      • filmgrain synth is majorly nice. It saves a lot of space while being quite pleasing to look at.
      • Dolby Vision in AV1 is afaik unofficial so don't expect it to work everywhere.
      • HDR10 passthrough is nice for obvious reasons

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Holy crap that's impressive. I hope kdenline can now use all 16+16 cores on high end ryzens.
        multithreading is for CLI, Video editors wont be effected by this, whether they thread well or not for anything but encoding is up to the editor. Note that encoding is the hardest cpu intensive part for most editors that have GPU accelerated compositing.

The only thing a video editor can really do to make encoding thread better is by chunking it and encoding chunks in parallel, much like the av1an encoding tool.​

Depends on what you're doing. Your typical video encoding process can't be parallelized that much if the processes themselves aren't. One example: encoding AV1 with the aom encoder is single threaded, while SVT-AV1 is designed to be multithreaded. So only if you actually have tasks that don't require any serialization you'll see any improvements.
        aom isn't single threaded, but granted it can feel like it at times, it sure aint as good as svtav1, I find it sits happily at 2-3 threads, and anything beyond 4 threads useless

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

ffmpeg has got a huge number of optional dependencies. Even when you have all of them properly installed, there are still a huge number of configure flags to wade through. Luckily though we don't live in an LFS world and every major distro has competent build systems made specifically for complex projects just like ffmpeg. It really is a matter of familiarity and proficiency, once you've done something so many times it begins to feel natural and you just get used to it and it becomes easy.
          You don't need to lecture me. Just read back what the original point was

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Not an opinion:

This invention discloses a video encoding method for encoding P frames and B frames using I frames. The video encoding method includes: I frame encoding process, which generates encoded I frames and compressed I frames by intra encoding; and P and B frame encoding process, which generated encoded P frames and B frames using aforementioned compressed I frames.

The invention discloses an adaptive frame-B encoding method and system. The method comprises the following steps: analyzing the redundancy of the inter-frame information of a film source, adaptively adjusting the frame-B interval, and eliminating the inter-frame information redundancy to the greatest degree, so that the compression performance of the encoder is improved; and in addition, the acceleration judgment variable is set, so that the algorithm can be adapted to the requirements of different application environments on the calculated amount control.

A rate control algorithm for an MPEG-2 compliant encoder is described. The rate control algorithm has embodiments useful for constant bit rate and variable bit rate encoding. In particular, the invention relates to adaptive quantization.

An example device includes processing circuitry configured to determine a first state of a data structure, the first state representing a first quantizer applied to a previously quantized or inverse quantized value of a previous transform coefficient of residual data for a block of the video data and update the data structure to a second state according to the first state and a parity of a partial set of syntax elements representing a partial set of a plurality of coefficient levels for the previous transform coefficient. The processing circuitry is further configured to determine a second quantizer to be used to quantize or inverse quantize a current value of a current transform coefficient according to the second state of the data structure and quantize or inverse quantize the current value of the current transform coefficient using the second quantizer.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...n+optimization
            It's still just your opinoin that x264 actually infringes any patents.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Copyright, patents, and trademarks are completely independent systems. x264 is good on the copyright front, but not the patent front.

(Originally, copyright was for books and maps and patents were for machine designs. The overlap happened when copyright lobbyists and patent lobbyists both convinced the U.S. government that their scopes should be expanded to cover software, but they're still independent systems.)

Basically, you can legally redistribute the plans for "the x264 machine" (the source code) but, because the "mechanical mechanisms it incorporates" (the ones listed by sophisticles) are patented, you need a license to legally be able to manufacture physical machines from those plans... given the nature of open-source software, that means "you'd better have a license if you do anything where the MPEG-LA will notice".

That's actually sort of the original vision for patents. Inventors are incentivized to make their trade secrets public for anyone to read in exchange for a time-limited monopoly where even people who come up with the same thing independently still have to pay them to use it.
              Sure, that must be the reason why everyone except a few distros run by paranoids ships x264 binaries, yet nobody sued them. You can bet your ass, if MPEG LA can make money out of anything, they will try. See Broadcom vs Netflix and dozens of other examples.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. It doesn't even make logical sense that creating an open source encoder or decoder for a patent encumbered codec would magically make the codec not patent encumbered. I'm pretty sure the Director of Global Licensing for the MPEG LA knows what he is talking about, but I have a feeling you'll just move the goal posts again.

It's absolutely irrelevant what the patent pool itself wants to be true. Of course they'll tell you that you need to pay, whether that's true or not. Especially the MPEG LA is that desperate. That doesn't prove any truth to it. On the opposite, they disprove themselves. Otherwise they would have made sure long ago that anybody shipping binaries for x264 or x265 is paying the royalties. I don't know of a single distro paying these. And so doesn't the videolan team, while shipping the VLC player including x264 and x265.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

aom isn't single threaded, but granted it can feel like it at times, it sure aint as good as svtav1, I find it sits happily at 2-3 threads, and anything beyond 4 threads useless
                  True, in a quick test I actually didn't see any single threaded ones, they are just poorly multi-threaded

Comment

And still no proper AC-4 audio support.

Comment

Sure, that must be the reason why everyone except a few distros run by paranoids ships x264 binaries, yet nobody sued them. You can bet your ass, if MPEG LA can make money out of anything, they will try. See Broadcom vs Netflix and dozens of other examples.
                      It's because MPEG-LA has decided to take a "Microsoft turns a blind eye to most Windows piracy for 'opium for China' reasons" or "WinRAR's perpetual free trial" strategy. Make it the end-user's responsibility to pay for licensing for open-source implementations, and get the individuals hooked on it to build up network effects that force valuable corporate users to use H.264, which are much more cost-effective to send legal threats to.

Comment

Working...
                      X