FFmpeg 7.0 Released With Native VVC Decoding & Multi-Threaded CLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Good luck compiling ffmpeg with all of those libraries with a single "make". Even their own guide is much longer and that's only including a few libraries: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
    ​​​​

I just built it with ./configure && make.

The dependencies are only needed the first time you build it, I build it from source every release so my system is already setup.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 05 April 2024, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Thanks for proving me right. Good to know you have the slightest shred of logic inside you.

Comment

Not true at all.

X264 used lots of patented technology, B-frames, AQ, psy-rd, trellis, do a patent search, all of them were/are patented technology.

What they did was distribute source code, which gas been considered free speech by the courts.

I'm not sure all the H264 patents have expired yet either.
        Your opinion that hardly has much to do with facts.

Comment

Good luck compiling ffmpeg with all of those libraries with a single "make". Even their own guide is much longer and that's only including a few libraries: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
          ​​​​
          ffmpeg has got a huge number of optional dependencies. Even when you have all of them properly installed, there are still a huge number of configure flags to wade through. Luckily though we don't live in an LFS world and every major distro has competent build systems made specifically for complex projects just like ffmpeg. It really is a matter of familiarity and proficiency, once you've done something so many times it begins to feel natural and you just get used to it and it becomes easy.

Comment

Could anyone recommend me a good way to use ffmpeg converter without CLI?

Comment

Your opinion that hardly has much to do with facts.
              Not an opinion:

This invention discloses a video encoding method for encoding P frames and B frames using I frames. The video encoding method includes: I frame encoding process, which generates encoded I frames and compressed I frames by intra encoding; and P and B frame encoding process, which generated encoded P frames and B frames using aforementioned compressed I frames.

The invention discloses an adaptive frame-B encoding method and system. The method comprises the following steps: analyzing the redundancy of the inter-frame information of a film source, adaptively adjusting the frame-B interval, and eliminating the inter-frame information redundancy to the greatest degree, so that the compression performance of the encoder is improved; and in addition, the acceleration judgment variable is set, so that the algorithm can be adapted to the requirements of different application environments on the calculated amount control.

A rate control algorithm for an MPEG-2 compliant encoder is described. The rate control algorithm has embodiments useful for constant bit rate and variable bit rate encoding. In particular, the invention relates to adaptive quantization.

An example device includes processing circuitry configured to determine a first state of a data structure, the first state representing a first quantizer applied to a previously quantized or inverse quantized value of a previous transform coefficient of residual data for a block of the video data and update the data structure to a second state according to the first state and a parity of a partial set of syntax elements representing a partial set of a plurality of coefficient levels for the previous transform coefficient. The processing circuitry is further configured to determine a second quantizer to be used to quantize or inverse quantize a current value of a current transform coefficient according to the second state of the data structure and quantize or inverse quantize the current value of the current transform coefficient using the second quantizer.

A new method for real time implementation of rate-distortion optimized coding mode selection is disclosed that can be efficiently applied to H-263-compatible video codecs and other codecs of similar type. A normalized rate-distortion model is used to efficiently compute the rate and the distortion when encoding motion-compensated prediction error signals, instead of performing DCT, quantization and entropy-encoding. A fast algorithm is also disclosed that determines sub-optimal values of coding parameters such as the quantization parameter and the Lagrangian multiplier, λ, for the trellis search. Very good rate control and picture quality are achieved, especially when the disclosed techniques are applied in very low bitrate video coding.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                Selur's Hybrid, FastFlix, Handbrake, all cross platform.

I do recommend you learn the command line way though, much easier to set up batch jobs that way.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                  Open source software without any restriction - converter all formats professionals codecs and standards

or

Comment

They do not such thing.

They link to places where you can download compiled binaries but ffmpeg does not distribute anything except source code.

They did this so they can't be accused of infringing on any patents, in the U.S. the courts have ruled that source code is free speech but binaries could be considered infringing.
                    Huh, I'll be damned it just sends you to the Ubuntu Launchpad, my bad, I assumed without verifying.
                    Found the link you mentioned that offers static builds but it seems to not have been updated for version 7.0 (at least at the time of writing, there is a git build but that one dates to last month). Not to sure if any trustworthy PPA offer it, leaving only building it yourself right now I guess.

Comment

Nonsense. x264 created a bitstream that can be decoded by the same means for h264, yet circumventing the patents on h264. That was the whole point of x264 and x265. Or with the words of the videolan team:
                      Copyright, patents, and trademarks are completely independent systems. x264 is good on the copyright front, but not the patent front.

(Originally, copyright was for books and maps and patents were for machine designs. The overlap happened when copyright lobbyists and patent lobbyists both convinced the U.S. government that their scopes should be expanded to cover software, but they're still independent systems.)

Basically, you can legally redistribute the plans for "the x264 machine" (the source code) but, because the "mechanical mechanisms it incorporates" (the ones listed by sophisticles) are patented, you need a license to legally be able to manufacture physical machines from those plans... given the nature of open-source software, that means "you'd better have a license if you do anything where the MPEG-LA will notice".

That's actually sort of the original vision for patents. Inventors are incentivized to make their trade secrets public for anyone to read in exchange for a time-limited monopoly where even people who come up with the same thing independently still have to pay them to use it.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 05 April 2024, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X