ReiserFS Officially Declared "Obsolete"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
    It's always fun to witness how people try to distance themselves from a single criminal while at the same time they give 0 fucks about the fact that fundamentals of the most modern tech used in everyday life by everyone was developed during WW2 and Cold War and used directly by mass murderers.
    Well, I don't give any fucks about who created what. If it works and it works well, I'm using it. Why else do I swear by Windows 11 for so many things?

The fact is ReiserFS is completely unmaintained for almost a decade if not more, with the creator still locked up and Namesys dissolved in all but name. It's as good as dead and abandoned, and anybody still on ReiserFS or still insists on ReiserFS will either have to use an ancient distribution or otherwise start moving their files and operations to ext4 or XFS.

Comment

Oh well. Instead of discussing tech we're back at that case.
      Anyway, reiserfs 3.6 was pretty nice when one had a lot of small files. Much faster in that case than anything else. It saddens me that there seems not to be enough manpower to maintain this stuff, and makes me wonder if we'll one day lose support for other FSs. That was a strength of Linux that one could access all sorts of media and thus exchange data or even do repairs to other systems.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

i hope that for compatibility's sake we'll at least be able to read those filesystems via fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          i hope that for compatibility's sake we'll at least be able to read those filesystems via fuse.
          grub-mount

Comment

Found memories. Not of the bad stuff, but of the filesystem from long ago. As the first real journaling filesystem that could be grown while mounted, it was the heart of early enterprise Linux distributions (which at the time meant, S.u.S.E only). I used this a lot in early Linux FC SAN environments.

But, I think everyone has pretty much moved on.

Comment

Do you think about Oscar Pistorius's medals or that time he killed his girlfriend in a bout of roid rage? Chris Benoit was a beloved WWF wrestler but will his name ever be brought up without the fact he killed his wife and kids in a likely brain-damage cautionary tale?

Quit griping that the murder is brought up every time, accept that a thing you liked 20 years ago has been tainted by the murder the guy did and just don't click on the article if it bothers you that much.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                It's always fun to witness how people try to distance themselves from a single criminal while at the same time they give 0 fucks about the fact that fundamentals of the most modern tech used in everyday life by everyone was developed during WW2 and Cold War and used directly by mass murderers.
                I don't see anyone doing that, it's an old FS and there are better choices. It's time it got removed.

Comment

Speaking of next gen filesystems, does anyone know if bcachefs is gonna be submitted again for 6.6?
                  Ken submitted a pull request on day one last merge window.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Well, I don't give any fucks about who created what. If it works and it works well, I'm using it. Why else do I swear by Windows 11 for so many things?

The fact is ReiserFS is completely unmaintained for almost a decade if not more, with the creator still locked up and Namesys dissolved in all but name. It's as good as dead and abandoned, and anybody still on ReiserFS or still insists on ReiserFS will either have to use an ancient distribution or otherwise start moving their files and operations to ext4 or XFS.
                    I don't imply you should.

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                    I don't see anyone doing that, it's an old FS and there are better choices. It's time it got removed.
                    ​I saw a lot of posts in other ReiserFS-related forum threads where people did that.​ We will get at least one here too, just wait LOL

Comment

Edward really should come up with a new name if he ever wants to upstream R5.

Comment

Working...
                      X