Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post

With respect to your work. But if you need to point to an external source and need to explain it in a whole page, then please consider reverting the complete change.
    A guy that probably contributes nothing tells a great developer to revert his much appreciated work. Your should probably revert making so stupid statements.

hansdegoede great work!

Comment

Maybe he can work on getting nvidia hybrid graphics working correctly under Fedora next. I had to switch off Fedora due to never being able to get it work right even after trying various coprs, and fighting with it for hours, etc. On *buntu/Mint related dists it just works out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by kruger View Post

A guy that probably contributes nothing ...
        You are aware, that I was referring to the recent grub2 config hide changes, that causes a lot of irritations? Maybe you head over to the Fedora devel list and read about how people coulnd access any input to recover from boot issues.

Comment

uefi/bios logo displayed so long, I thought the machine was hung. I don't see how this improves anyone's life. How about we fix that monitor rotation is backwards in kde, or that focus strictly follows mouse has been broken forever, particularly on multi-screen.

Comment

SteamOS had this for years and Valve thought it would be funny to just sit on the patches rather than sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

With respect to your work. But if you need to point to an external source and need to explain it in a whole page, then please consider reverting the complete change.
              Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
              4.How to access the GRUB menu when hidden

If for some reason you need to access the GRUB menu while it is hidden there are multiple ways to get to it:
              1. If you can get to gdm, access the top-right menu (the system menu) and click on the power [⏻] icon. Then keep ALT pressed to change the "Restart" option into "Boot Options" and click "Boot Options".
              2. While booting keep SHIFT pressed, usually you need to first press SHIFT when the vendor logo is shown by the firmware / when the firmware says e.g. "Press F2 to enter setup" if you press it earlier it may not be seen. Note this may not work on some machines.
              3. During boot press ESC or F8 while GRUB loads (simply press the key repeatedly directly after power on until you are in the menu).
              4. Force the previous boot to be considered failed:
                1. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL while booting so that the system reboots before hitting gdm
                2. Press CTRL + ALT + F6 to switch away from gdm, followed by CTRL + ALT + DEL.
                3. Press the power-button for 4 seconds to force the machine off.
                Either of these will cause the boot_success grub_env flag to not get set and
                the menu will show the next boot.
              5. Manually set the menu show once flag by running: "grub-set-bootflag menu_show_once" This will cause the menu to show for 60 seconds before continuing with the default boot-option.
              Ouch, how about just getting rid of the flicker by not changing resolutions and if possible sugar coat with smooth transition effects.

Not experiencing flicker is nice but having to stare at the vendor logo until login is a big cost.

Let me try to explain, why this is a big cost for me:

I agree that this work is important and stuff needs to be beautiful but not if information and options get dropped in the name of clean style.
              If design is dictating form, I feel like using a cheap copy of the Mac experience!
              If the OS decides it knows better, I feel like using a cheap copy of Windows!

I enjoy seeing the GRUB options and the services loading!
              This gives me the sense that the system is taking me serious as a user and his master - I own my installation.
              If I have to fight the system and do research to regain some semblance of control - I can just rent the right to use the Windows 10 "OS as a service" form Microsoft!

This work is about enhancing the Linux experience but for me it makes it worse because the differentiating factor that made me choose Linux was and still is the feeling of empowerment I get when I use a system that takes me serious as it's owner. The system is working for me and I don't need to trick it to get at what I know is there! It even helps me discover what and how it is doing stuff.

By all means make it look better but not if it costs the user the feeling of control and ownership!

I guess, at the LUKS password prompt, it falls apart anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                This is good. It's a level of polish that Windows has had since Vista and OS X as far as I can remember. Even Android does a flicker free boot.

I still think GRUB should be binned and replaced with a proper EFI bootloader like reFind (which boots kernel stubs, kernel discovery, and looks 1000x better) but probably hoping for too much there.
                windows has most certainly not done this since vista, only windows 10 on UEFI seems to be capable of it.

Comment

But can it boot in 4K resolution?
                  Can it boot in 24 bpp or 32 bpp?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
                    This gives me the sense that the system is taking me serious as a user and his master - I own my installation.
                    Not being able to access grub2 in any ways during a system failue doesn't take the admin and owner serious either. Such a situation was recently been brought up on the fedora devel mailing list.

Someone had a boot issue and wasn't able to access the grub interface to cover his situations. It was said that under certain circumstances the rescue option (or something like that) shows up, so you can access grub. This didn't happen and kept the user outside. A lengthy discussion started - which I didn't entirely read. But you can be sure, that such questions will soon find their ways in bugzilla.fedora.org.

While I do agree, that some sort of aesthetics might be interesint, it on the other hand is the smallest part of the entire desktop experience. The boot process doesn't take more than 20 seconds (on my system) and the systems runs the entire day afterwards. I don't even notics the machine booting because I usually pick up my coffee during that time (which usually takes ~20 minutes .

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
                      By all means make it look better but not if it costs the user the feeling of control and ownership!
                      The fact that OS boots cleanly does not mean that you have no control or ownership. You can still change that easily. It's not even a default yet so ATM it's opt-in rather than opt-out.

The OS should generally boot successfully and an average Joe should see a nice and clean boot process. If something goes wrong during the boot he will get the info. If the user is a power user and wants to see the info then he will know how to enable it.

Comment

Working...
                      X