No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hansdegoede My Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro with 3200×1800 display still flickers during boot. Maybe UEFI sets the display to non-native resolution? Can I debug it somehow? Should that work with HiDPI screens?
    [root@yoga kruger]# dmesg | grep 'fastboot'
    [ 0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.18.10-300.fc29.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet i915.fastboot=1 plymouth.splash-delay=20
    [root@yoga kruger]# grub2-editenv list | grep menu_auto_hide
    menu_auto_hide=1

Comment

I glad to see that Fedora have made such great improvements to their OS. I really like that they focused on improving battery life in Laptops, as this is my main usage case. Since I am a creature of habit, I still will be sticking with Debian based distros for now. But if I (or a friend) were to get a new laptop, Fedora will be installed.

[QUOTE=bapfreak;n1051167 I hope Linux computer vendors help integrate this with UEFI logos and different distros.[/QUOTE]
      This would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by kruger View Post

The fact that OS boots cleanly does not mean that you have no control or ownership. You can still change that easily. It's not even a default yet so ATM it's opt-in rather than opt-out.

The OS should generally boot successfully and an average Joe should see a nice and clean boot process. If something goes wrong during the boot he will get the info. If the user is a power user and wants to see the info then he will know how to enable it.
        Sounds nice but I don't buy it.
        There was a time you got told how to enable the details in the quiet boot splash theme.
        There was a time you got told how to enter the grub menu when the menu was hidden.

Soon you will no longer know how to enable it without having an other device to access the internet.
        Some stupid initiative renamed GRUB to something more enterprise like boot manager and your internet searches can no longer find specifics to your problem.

Sorry for the rant but it is a cultural problem and I don't like the direction that things heading.

Candy : Did you mean this thread https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/4N5G4I3SSI5P7IWO3NGPGRQ4E37TVFO6/#JL6TX4GYPBOUS2UUXGPFNK3EKM6KG2MX ?
        Last edited by slalomsk8er; 02 October 2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of "fit and finish" aspect that the Linux user experience is sorely lacking. Many thanks to Hans!

Comment

I see a lot of people adding comments here about them being worried that this removes their ability to see under the hood. This is not true, we are well aware that some people prefer to see the boot messages and being able to do so is also very important from an educational pov.

You can still remove "quiet" and "rhgb" from the kernel commandline and get all the kernel and services startup messages as before. I think the notion of a boot splash and the quiet option was first introduced more then 10 years ago and we've always supported getting the full messages by simply removing these 2 options from the kernel commandline and there are no plans to change this.

Comment

Or just edit /etc/default/grub ...

Comment

it's so beautiful.... (snif) (teary eyed)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  But can it boot in 4K resolution?
                  Can it boot in 24 bpp or 32 bpp?
                  Are you on a MSI motherboard? If so you can enable "WHQL Support" and it will do.

What about 30 bpp or 40 bpp?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Are you on a MSI motherboard? If so you can enable "WHQL Support" and it will do.

What about 30 bpp or 40 bpp?
                    Most other motherboards have similar options, Asrock calls it "HD BIOS" or something like that.

And yeah, the board sends an appropriately scaled image on my 4k, it's not like my older mobo that has max res of like 4:3 fullHD so it looks like shit on boot if you use a 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
                      I see a lot of people adding comments here about them being worried that this removes their ability to see under the hood. This is not true, we are well aware that some people prefer to see the boot messages and being able to do so is also very important from an educational pov.

You can still remove "quiet" and "rhgb" from the kernel commandline and get all the kernel and services startup messages as before. I think the notion of a boot splash and the quiet option was first introduced more then 10 years ago and we've always supported getting the full messages by simply removing these 2 options from the kernel commandline and there are no plans to change this.
                      As far as I remember, 10 years ago you didn't need to change the kernel command line in the GRUB menu. I was told by the quiet splash how to switch to verbose by pressing a key.
                      GRUB told me to press ESC to show the menu in quiet mode. I didn't need to change the config.

This is the cultural shift I talk about: getting told how to see the details and access the complicated options or having to research on the web to get the information.
                      Having a button to press versus having to muck about in configurations.

If you don't have a second computer you maybe out of luck.
                      As Candy stated, there can be bugs that crash the boot process without GRUB noticing and then you are stuck and can't access the GRUB menu.
                      Again, you are stuck without a second computer to create a boot stick and chroot into the broken system to change the GRUB configuration.

So I'm a big fan of hinting at a button and be able to change access the GRUB menu and switch to verbose at run time.
                      If it's possible to draw with a alpha channel, this hints can be drawn over the vendor logo without jarring effects. So one could have both, a flicker free boot and access to the GRUB menu and the verbose boot splash theme.

hansdegoede : Are there technical problems that make this impossible? What are the limitations? Who makes the decisions about design and features, you a design comity or your boss? I'm willing to invest some of my time to help making this as beautiful, easy and feature rich as possible.

I Think it would be appropriate to draw over the vendor logo anyway to tell the user that the computer isn't stuck but booting the OS.
                      Because my first impression of your video was that the computer is stuck for a long time and suddenly presents the login.

Comment

Working...
                      X