Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

    Phoronix: Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

    After optimizing the Linux laptop battery life last cycle, Hans de Goede of Red Hat has been working on Fedora 29 to provide a "flicker-free" boot experience. A Linux desktop flicker-free boot has been talked about for a decade or longer but with Fedora 29 and using Intel graphics that is finally becoming a reality...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...cker-Free-Boot

  • #2
    Hans De Goede is a rockstar. Do we really deserve this excellent man?

    Comment


    • #3
      I just love it. Yes, I do. Fedora seems like the 0.000000001% of desktop distros that actually do things besides just bumping package versions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well done! Cheers

        Comment


        • #5
          Anyone knows if any similar effort exists on amdgpu front?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
            Anyone knows if any similar effort exists on amdgpu front?
            He has it mentioned in the blog posts as a TODO

            Comment


            • #7
              This is so very much overdue and so very awesome!

              Hopefully it can be configured to emit text on top of the graphics so that one can know the boot stages.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                This is so very much overdue and so very awesome!

                Hopefully it can be configured to emit text on top of the graphics so that one can know the boot stages.
                ESC - key, as always...?!

                SUSE is working on the 'same'.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tichun View Post
                  I just love it. Yes, I do. Fedora seems like the 0.000000001% of desktop distros that actually do things besides just bumping package versions.
                  Along with Solus.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder how hard it would be to detect a black area of the screen and draw some sort of animation. Regardless, this is amazing! Fedora is the new leader in Linux "polishing"; still like Debian better though. I hope Linux computer vendors help integrate this with UEFI logos and different distros.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X