No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what the Linux ecosystem needs, shout out to Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Solus and bunch of others.
    The communities are spending too much work on creating their own DEs instead of fixing the nitty-gritty bugs and issues.
    This is what I call progress towards making the Linux desktop a more polished experience, it adds up over time.

Ubuntu did improve the desktop experience until they caught up with their own DE and the DE development bound too many resources, so the progress slowed down and improvements didn't propagate throughout the Linux ecosystem as easily because of their unique DE.

Then Linux Mint took over from 2011 onwards until 2015 or so until they also started their own DE as well as maintaining forks of all the Gnome apps (XApps).
    Solus took over from 2017 and Solus 4 is way over-due to release because they are working too much duplicating efforts with their own package management systems and their own software center instead of improving battery life or fixing things like these.
    Last edited by Degra; 01 October 2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
      What do they mean by "flicker"? The code that runs across the screen? Thats part of the Linux boot experience, thats not even a bother.

So they been glancing at Windows and felt like it wasnt "cool" enough? Jesus christ, linux-devs, learn to ignore peer-pressure...
      Nope, it's not about code that runs across the screen. That was hidden before by plymouth and will show up as soon as an error occurs or the user hits esc oder something. It's about modesetting, so unnecessarily changing the resolution and refresh rate of the screen (usually just setting the already used mode again, but making the hardware flicker).

Edit: just tried it, works like charm for me
      Last edited by treba; 01 October 2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

This is good. It's a level of polish that Windows has had since Vista and OS X as far as I can remember. Even Android does a flicker free boot.

I still think GRUB should be binned and replaced with a proper EFI bootloader like reFind (which boots kernel stubs, kernel discovery, and looks 1000x better) but probably hoping for too much there.
        Last edited by Britoid; 01 October 2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I don't understand the relevance of a flicker free boot (it's not like we're doing something anyway). But whatever, as long as it doesn't break anything, good enough.

Comment

I still don't understand how to choose an alternate kernel. There are no visual cues as to when that's possible. Are we supposed to frantically keep on hitting some key as soon as the BIOS hot key legends disappear?

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post
              The communities are spending too much work on creating their own DEs instead of fixing the nitty-gritty bugs and issues.
              FYI (and FWIW): Looks like the project head of Manjaro was working with Fedora on this (though I do not know the extent):
              (detailed announcement) https://forum.manjaro.org/t/changes-...ub-quiet/59925
              (original announcement from the 26th) https://twitter.com/ManjaroLinux/sta...73290237288448

As such, this functionality is also in the latest Manjaro Beta (currently 18 beta 7).
              Hi When logged in to a desktop environment, in power manager there is an option “When power button is pressed” and choices “ask”, “do nothing”, “shutdown”, etc. I was just wondering how one would go about ensuring when the power button is pressed at the login screen (lightdm) “ask” or “do nothing” was the setting, rather than the machine shutting down. Sorry if i have put this in the wrong place, i figured to program you have to know stuff and so i had a better chance of a solution here.

Comment

Originally posted by n00b View Post
                I still don't understand how to choose an alternate kernel. There are no visual cues as to when that's possible. Are we supposed to frantically keep on hitting some key as soon as the BIOS hot key legends disappear?
                This is answered in the FAQ: https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/19081.html

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
                  With respect to your work. But if you need to point to an external source and need to explain it in a whole page, then please consider reverting the complete change.

Comment

That looks very slick, would love for this to be adopted by other distro's and AMDGPU.

Comment

Would it be possible to achieve the same (i.e. no modesetting changes) whilst still showing the grub menu and kernel output?

Comment

Working...
                      X