No announcement yet.

Trying Out The Experimental Unity 8 Session On Ubuntu 16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me wonder where Ubuntu would be if the Ubuntu Edge had met its fundraising goals.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Arch's Gnome maintainer is rather slow.
      That's right. Still no GNOME 3.22. Even Debian has GNOME 3.22 on testing. That's annoying.

Last time I tried Mir I couldn't run it - black screen after login. It was few days ago (16.10 of course). Well, I got Mir to work few months ago, but now it's not working. Weird.

I would use GNOME on Wayland (because it's work pretty good, and XWayland will got pointer wrapping), but in Wayland session Nautilus can't show icons on desktop. I can't stand locked desktop.

Comment

Gus, seriously, I think we'll be lucky if we get convergence and Unity 8 by 22.04. I mean Gnome doesn't even have Wayland implemented.

I switched from Unity to Gnome earlier this year. The Ubuntu bugs are piling up and things I dislike keep annoying me to no end. For example, why can I not have only ONE nautilus window open when plugging in an external drive? Why do I HAVE to have a separate Nautilus window for each drive? Why can (like Gnome) it just open Nautilus in one window? Stuff like this is driving me away from Unity.

I love the convergence idea but it's going to be years before we see it.

Sure is a good thing that that whole Ubuntu phone thing didn't work out. There's no way they could have delivered on their promises.

Comment

test to see if post shows.

Comment

We'll be lucky if we get convergence and Mir by 22.04.

Bugs in Unity and other things have driven me away from Unity to Gnome. Gnome has been improving and Unity has been sliding. For example, I absolutely HATE how in Unity multiple Nautilus windows get opened every time I plug in an external drive. Why can't Unity just use the Nautilus window that is already opened to work from the external drive? Instead it always opens a 2nd and 3rd and 4th nautilus window.

I would move to Unity convergence and would love to dump having a desktop and stupid iphone. But I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Comment

Why are posts unapproved? What causes this?

Comment

Nothing in my post is NSFW or objectionable in any way. So why is it "unapproved?"

Comment

Originally posted by bazen View Post
                  Nothing in my post is NSFW or objectionable in any way. So why is it "unapproved?"
                  Basically because vBulletin sucks and has a really weird automoderation system

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

That's right. Still no GNOME 3.22. Even Debian has GNOME 3.22 on testing. That's annoying.

Last time I tried Mir I couldn't run it - black screen after login. It was few days ago (16.10 of course). Well, I got Mir to work few months ago, but now it's not working. Weird.

I would use GNOME on Wayland (because it's work pretty good, and XWayland will got pointer wrapping), but in Wayland session Nautilus can't show icons on desktop. I can't stand locked desktop.
                    Arch has the packages in the Testing repo, they've been there for a fe they always stay there for ~3 weeks so that other packages can be well tested for breakages against the new stack

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                      I do wonder if they will ever achieve their goal of convergance
                      Not unless the majority of users suddenly decide to ditch Firefox, Libreoffice etc. and run mobile junk on a desktop instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X