Trying Out The Experimental Unity 8 Session On Ubuntu 16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bregma View Post
    I'll just point out that this is a review of a pre-release development version on its first day of a pre-release shakedown. If you're going to pre-judge the final quality of a product by how it looks in development, you're revealing more about the flaws in your own character than any flaw in the software.
    A lot of people here seem to jump at the opportunity to sh*t on Ubuntu and Canonical

Comment

As an Ubuntu diehard since Warty, I see the future looking very dim. Canonical has always struggled to maintain custom contributions. It was always laughable to think that Mir would be a smart play. Not only does Canonical lack the DNA to support such a crucial layer in the desktop stack, it's a layer that requires widespread standardization and agreement. How could Canonical think they'd have buy-in from hardware vendors? It's enough of a struggle to get Nvidia and AMD to support Xorg as it is.

The smartphone initiative was always doomed, but I actually respect Canonical's shift to "convergence" and touch. Even though the result has been stagnant improvement to the desktop in about 4 years, I expect hybrid devices to be the norm going forward. We'll likely see Macbooks with touchscreens soon. Also the tablet space could really benefit from a true Free alternative to Android. As much as I like Android, Google is clearing trending away from user freedom. Ubuntu could occupy that role, but it's not looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Gnome already has Wayland protocol implemented long time ago with some unresolved bugs . Fedora has login screen using GDM Wayland by default since 21 and recently set Gnome Wayland session as default for 25 release.
        Yes, for 25 release. It isn't even out yet in stable form. And Gnome is farther ahead than everyone else. My point is that Mir is behind even this. So long ways off.

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
          As an Ubuntu diehard since Warty, I see the future looking very dim. Canonical has always struggled to maintain custom contributions. It was always laughable to think that Mir would be a smart play.
          Yes! I've always held hope that Ubuntu Convergence would stabilize Unity from its heavily patched version of Gnome. But I don't know if this will turn out or not. But considering how Canonical struggles to already do what it's doing, and then they go and take on a display server? I don't see how they ever hoped to achieve that. It's just crazy. The only way I see it working out is if Canonical forks Gnome and makes Unity the shell for that fork, eliminating all the patch work that Unity currently is and making it a true shell built-in to the desktop environment. Maybe then they can get some Debian-like stability too.

Ubuntu needs to become its own desktop environment to survive, or Canonical needs to start working together with Gnome closer.

Comment

Originally posted by bazen View Post

Yes, for 25 release. It isn't even out yet in stable form. And Gnome is farther ahead than everyone else.
            I'm not sure what you mean by this. Wayland is stable, just some of the implementations are not stable yet. As for GNOME, the open bugs are just missing features and whatnot, nothing critical. I personally only have one blocking bug before I jump on board.
            XWayland on the other hand, that maybe a little unstable here and there, but it's getting pretty close. I'll have to test out 1.19 when F25 comes out to see how it's come along.
            I'm told SDL is pretty stable with Wayland, though I have yet to test it myself.

As for KDE and the rest, it's only a matter of time. Once people start adopting Wayland, there will be a stronger push to port everything else. Mir won't be so fortunate due to a lack of developers adopting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Wayland is stable, just some of the implementations are not stable yet. As for GNOME, the open bugs are just missing features and whatnot, nothing critical. I personally only have one blocking bug before I jump on board.
              XWayland on the other hand, that maybe a little unstable here and there, but it's getting pretty close. I'll have to test out 1.19 when F25 comes out to see how it's come along.
              I'm told SDL is pretty stable with Wayland, though I have yet to test it myself.

As for KDE and the rest, it's only a matter of time. Once people start adopting Wayland, there will be a stronger push to port everything else. Mir won't be so fortunate due to a lack of developers adopting it.
              It's a zero sum game; only one can be allowed to 'win' because maintaining two different driver versions is a ridiculous waste of developer resources.

For example, if I were an Ubuntu user, and I want to run Mir with updated Mesa and updated xMir, I first need to patch xserver to feature support for xMir. Then I need to patch Mesa to build for Mir as an EGL backend. And who knows what other stuff needs patching as well? Existing X dependencies? GTK? Gnome 3? KDE?

And downstream patches are always slower; upstream is rarely ever onboard with day-1 support for new hardware, so expect downstream patches to take much longer.

Comment

Working...
              X