Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Experimental Unity 8 Session On Ubuntu 16.10

Phoronix: Trying Out The Experimental Unity 8 Session On Ubuntu 16.10

With this month's Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" release, Unity 7 on the X.Org Server is used by default on the desktop while an alternate Unity 8 + Mir session is installed by default, but while it's available is not used unless logging into this newer desktop stack. Here's my few minutes of trying it out this morning with all of the latest Ubuntu 16.10 packages.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not too surprised. The good news is that in the past couple of years, Gnome 3 has gotten very good and respectably modern -- seems like Unity might ultimately not be much more than a stopgap between non-composited Linux desktops and current Gnome 3 / Plasma 5.

Comment

Yeah, Plasma 5.8 on Wayland is in much better shape. I've already tried testing it and it was much more usable than this Unity/Mir thing... And Plasma 5.9 will probably fix most of the issues Wayland session still has.

Comment

Charms bar... Gnome is Windows 8, now Unity is Windows 8 too. (In the meantime, real Windows 8 is history.) Unity 9 might resemble Windows XP.

Comment

I do wonder if they will ever achieve their goal of convergance

Comment

Looking at the icon set I looks like to copy breeze. I think taking plasma and write their own shell on top on this is the better idea.

Comment

It's obvious they focus on the ubuntu phone and desktop is not a priority anymore.
              And honestly, I don't see why they would succeed on mobiles while others have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Charms bar... Gnome is Windows 8, now Unity is Windows 8 too.... Unity 9 might resemble Windows XP.
                I would not say that, Gnome is both visually and functionally different from just about every DE that I have seen so far. At this point, it's stability is a testament to the process they have chosen in it's development. At the very least, it is somewhat more modern without looking completely flat.
                (In the meantime, real Windows 8 is history.)
                Honestly, if you think that the Metro UI is gone? Then you have a sad reality waiting for you in Windows 10.

Comment

I have switched to Wayland in Gnome now, and the only issues I have are some X apps like Steam having issues with drop down menues. And I can't turn off mouse acceleration, which is annoying. The latter is fixed in Gnome 3.22 I hear, but Arch's Gnome maintainer is rather slow.

Comment

Originally posted by kyrios View Post
                    And honestly, I don't see why they would succeed on mobiles while others have failed.
                    I think it's great that they're trying to take on Android and iPhone. But I think it's insanely optimistic to think they can succeed where all others have failed.

Comment

Working...
                    X