Kubuntu's Release Manager Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
    So one person leaves a project and everyone starting looking for replacement? Someone else will step in and take the role. I don't plan to switch unless the whole project is officially abandoned which I highly doubt.
    I think the point is not that he left, but why he left. Any person that replaces him in his functions will face the exact same issues he has faced.

Comment

a little inside baseball https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/000568.html

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
        Hopefully Kubuntu will die. We don't need more fragmentation. There is already enough of it and must be reigned in. All derivatives of Ubuntu must go to hell for they weaken Linux. You want KDE? Install Ubuntu and add KDE. Don't use Kubuntu. Or Lubuntu or anything *ubuntu. Just use Ubuntu. That is all that is necessary.
        I would say that it makes more sense to have 1 single Ubuntu (Desktop) installer, and like Antergos, give us a choice (with the default "recommended" preselected). From there you can have graphical list to pick from (KDE, Gnome 3, etc) and some that are not officially supported. (Mint, Openbox, etc). A 'generic' linux installer would go over package managers and such.

Comment

You want KDE? Install Ubuntu and add KDE. Don't use Kubuntu.
          Where do you think the KDE packages in the Ubuntu repository come from?

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
            Where do you think the KDE packages in the Ubuntu repository come from?
            Debian, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
              And here: http://jriddell.org/2015/09/02/jonat...ell-ip-policy/

Comment

Hopefully Kubuntu will die. We don't need more fragmentation. There is already enough of it and must be reigned in. All derivatives of Ubuntu must go to hell for they weaken Linux. You want KDE? Install Ubuntu and add KDE. Don't use Kubuntu. Or Lubuntu or anything *ubuntu. Just use Ubuntu. That is all that is necessary.

Oh, and, Riddell, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
                I could take your logic and say that Ubuntu should die, because it adds fragmentation on top of Debian. And it would be just as dumb.
                Also, fwiw, I have tried installing KDE in Ubuntu 15.04 and it was a mess. Missing icons, mismatched colors, you name it. Installed Kubuntu anew and all was peachy. So you see, Kubuntu still has its place. Just like any other distribution.

Comment

Gentoo + KDE4 = the final word in stability. No Corporate bullshit either.

God - those Ubuntu CC email messages must be written by a computer program... So depressing to see just how far Canonical/Shuttleworth has fallen (waits for Oracle or MS to buy them out)...

Plasma 5 is fighting against the instability of it's base (Qt5 toolkit, graphics drivers, etc., etc.) Plus the KDE team have "decided" to remove some of my favourite little KDE4 features in Plasma 5...

Comment

I think I will take OpenSuse Leap, just because I have experiecne with OpenSuse.

Comment

Uhm, well, its pretty clear Kubuntu having hard times. Screenshot in article is a real crap. Probably worst kubuntu appearance I ever seen. So it seems relese manager and others weren't really motivated, they even failed to select some good-lookig KDE theme.

Comment

Working...
                      X