Kubuntu's Release Manager Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brillus View Post
    Someone knows another nice KDE distro? It should easily support steam, the newest Wine, Eclipse (C/C++ and Java). Also a nice package managing would be nice, do not like to compile and install everything on my own.

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken. (That was the cause why I switched to Kubuntu).
    Best Regards,
    Brillus
    I recommend OpenSuse, I use 13.2 daily with no bug. NVidia and Steam works great, installed via 1-click install. (even with Bumblebee if you have a laptop)

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

I'll second Michael about Fedora kde.
      When not using my Mac, I'm generally running Fedora, usually gnome but other desktops aren't a big problem. I never understood the interest in Ubuntu, seems like a personality cult more than anything else.
      They upgrade their packages faster than ubuntu, which is nice. The only thing is, you basically can't use the beta because you can't get the restricted codecs from rpmfusion until full release. (Well, you CAANN, but I don't recommend it).
      Codecs aren't a problem for the most part, that is one reason to own a Mac in fact, I've never had a driver issue. Fedora on the other hand is very nice when you need the bleeding edge, it is also why I don't use it as my main machine anymore. Stability didn't use to be Fedoras strong point, it is better now but it isn't the place to go for the ultimate in Linux stability

Comment

I have a question? What will happen to Linux Mint KDE? In my office I use Mint KDE and that seems stable enough, compatible with ubuntu lts and also have one sponsor company(forgot the name).

Comment

I tested Kubuntu 15.10 last night and I was impressed
          I was a huge improvement compared to last time I tested KDE 2 years ago
          Anyway, I think he took the right decision

Comment

Someone knows another nice KDE distro? It should easily support steam, the newest Wine, Eclipse (C/C++ and Java). Also a nice package managing would be nice, do not like to compile and install everything on my own.

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken. (That was the cause why I switched to Kubuntu).
            Best Regards,
            Brillus
            Chakra. A pure KDE distro.

Comment

Best Regards,
              Brillus
              Fedora's KDE spin gets my vote.

openSUSE the many times I checked in the past rarely handled installation well for me. Partitions would either get resized awkwardly, or just outright removed even after expert partitioning when trying to use encryption with LVM, and trying to install in EFI just increased the issues with that process. I haven't heard anyone really having a similar experience though, and I doubt I was doing anything wrong myself, so it could have just been my desktop But if you can get openSUSE installed, it's a pretty good distro (and probably would have been my primary if it had worked for me in the past when I was trying to get off of Ubuntu )

KaOS is another KDE-specific distro and looks really interesting. Unfortunately, it didn't support disk encryption at install time, which makes it a no-go for me, but this may be different now.

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              Hopefully Kubuntu will die. We don't need more fragmentation. There is already enough of it and must be reigned in. All derivatives of Ubuntu must go to hell for they weaken Linux. You want KDE? Install Ubuntu and add KDE. Don't use Kubuntu. Or Lubuntu or anything *ubuntu. Just use Ubuntu. That is all that is necessary.

Oh, and, Riddell, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
              I don't mind the official spins of Ubuntu since there's only a few of them, but the amount of other 3rd-party distros using Ubuntu as a base is... ridiculous. Why would I use some 3rd-party distro that's like Ubuntu, when I could simply either use Ubuntu or one of the official spins? That's basically how I feel about Mint, and yet it seems to be a real popular Ubuntu alternative for some reason... It seems to stick to stability a little harder out the box (and thus, be even more outdated than Ubuntu in some aspects), and looks to be a bit easier to install codecs, and has Cinnamon. But aside from those 3 things, what else does Mint even offer to have the popularity it does?

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                Hopefully Ubuntu will die. We don't need more fragmentation. There is already enough of it and must be reigned in. All derivatives of Debian must go to hell for they weaken Linux. You want KDE? Install Debian and add KDE. Don't use Kubuntu. Or Lubuntu or anything *ubuntu. Just use Debian. That is all that is necessary.
                Applied your logic while fixing your statement.

Comment

One person, who has emphasized publicly he is not the project leader, is stepping down as the release manager. There are a lot of other people involved in the Kubuntu project, including many capable and energetic contributors, who can and will step up to the plate. The project is not dead, there is no need to find a replacement.

It's sad to see him go, his vigilance and vocal and often dissenting opinions were an important and valued factor in maintaining balanace in a community-driven project with a commercial shadow.

Comment

So one person leaves a project and everyone starting looking for replacement? Someone else will step in and take the role. I don't plan to switch unless the whole project is officially abandoned which I highly doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                      I have a question? What will happen to Linux Mint KDE? In my office I use Mint KDE and that seems stable enough, compatible with ubuntu lts and also have one sponsor company(forgot the name).
                      Mint KDE is not going anywhere. They are sticking with the 4.x series for the next release. Presumably, they will move to 5.x in the following releases.

Comment

Working...
                      X