Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Fedora's KDE spin gets my vote.

openSUSE the many times I checked in the past rarely handled installation well for me. Partitions would either get resized awkwardly, or just outright removed even after expert partitioning when trying to use encryption with LVM, and trying to install in EFI just increased the issues with that process. I haven't heard anyone really having a similar experience though, and I doubt I was doing anything wrong myself, so it could have just been my desktop But if you can get openSUSE installed, it's a pretty good distro (and probably would have been my primary if it had worked for me in the past when I was trying to get off of Ubuntu )

KaOS is another KDE-specific distro and looks really interesting. Unfortunately, it didn't support disk encryption at install time, which makes it a no-go for me, but this may be different now.

I don't mind the official spins of Ubuntu since there's only a few of them, but the amount of other 3rd-party distros using Ubuntu as a base is... ridiculous. Why would I use some 3rd-party distro that's like Ubuntu, when I could simply either use Ubuntu or one of the official spins? That's basically how I feel about Mint, and yet it seems to be a real popular Ubuntu alternative for some reason... It seems to stick to stability a little harder out the box (and thus, be even more outdated than Ubuntu in some aspects), and looks to be a bit easier to install codecs, and has Cinnamon. But aside from those 3 things, what else does Mint even offer to have the popularity it does?
    Mind you, I am not a fan of Mint. But, there are a few things that it does well. They have more tools to change basic options. Want the meta controls switched from left to right? No problem. Several things like this. Better look for login options, etc, etc, etc. They also have their own software center, but I frankly don't like it. It probably is better than ubuntu software center, but I don't like either one, so I don't really know.

Comment

Originally posted by Brillus View Post
      Someone knows another nice KDE distro? It should easily support steam, the newest Wine, Eclipse (C/C++ and Java). Also a nice package managing would be nice, do not like to compile and install everything on my own.

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken. (That was the cause why I switched to Kubuntu).
      OpenSUSE is actually pretty nice and the upcoming Leap release should be a really solid KDE/Plasma5 distro. I'm not sure about the proprietary Nvidia driver situation (I use the AMD Opensource drive not Catalyst) but there are repos for steam that works quite well, and repos for the latest Mesa, Wine and has the new GCC5. Eclipse isnt in the repos but the generic Linux x86_64 binary tar.gz archive works fine. package management works fine with zypper and if you use btrfs as the default filesystem it integrates with snapper to let you roll back from updates in case something breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

Mint KDE is not going anywhere. They are sticking with the 4.x series for the next release. Presumably, they will move to 5.x in the following releases.
        Mint uses ubuntu lts distro's, why we have no plasma 5 for kde mint yet. Ubuntu 16.04 based mint will have.

Comment

Netrunner should be the most similar to Kubuntu and if Kubuntu become to have serious problems most likely to it be merged in Netrunner, I think.
          Last edited by alexcortes; 23 October 2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

Mint uses ubuntu lts distro's, why we have no plasma 5 for kde mint yet. Ubuntu 16.04 based mint will have.
            I'm sorry. I am not sure what you are saying. Are you asking why mint does not have plasma 5 yet? If so, I really can't speak for them other than to say that they must have decided that it is not 'mature' enough yet. Michael has posted stuff earlier in the week regarding that, though.

Comment

Yeap, +1 for openSUSE Leap, to be released in 11 days. The NVIDIA driver situation is fine for Leaps, NVIDIA provide a repository for it on their own servers. (Not Tumbleweed, though; so for Tumbleweed you have to expect the driver to break every kernel update.)

Comment

I haven't used OpenSuSE in a long time--when I did, I felt it had way too many layers of abstraction on top of the configuration. It was like you had to use their tools if you wanted to configure anything. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I didn't personally like it. Other than that, it was a nice distro and very stable, just not my cup of tea.

I personally recommend Arch or Chakra if you want KDE, but I understand that it's not for everyone either.

Comment

I left Kubuntu behind a couple of years ago because I didn't like the direction the parent distro, Ubuntu, was heading. Switched to Arch. Best decision I've made.

Comment

15.04 stills...

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

I'm sorry. I am not sure what you are saying. Are you asking why mint does not have plasma 5 yet? If so, I really can't speak for them other than to say that they must have decided that it is not 'mature' enough yet. Michael has posted stuff earlier in the week regarding that, though.
                      heh just pointing out that even newest mint uses ubuntu 14.04 lts codebase and that's too old for plasma5. Mint will use ubuntu 16.04 lts codebase for next version(18) and plasma 5 for kde version.

Comment

Working...
                      X