Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

The first release candidate of Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" has been released as the official release of the "Squeeze" successor approaches in the coming months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

The first release candidate of Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" has been released as the official release of the "Squeeze" successor approaches in the coming months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTY
    It would be nice to know if this is "Steam-compatible" out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      It is "steam-compatible".

You just need to install Steam on Wheezy with an installer script which takes cares of things like wrong glibc version and dependencies not found in Debian repos.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        Originally posted by moilami View Post
        You just need to install Steam on Wheezy with an installer script which takes cares of things like wrong glibc version and dependencies not found in Debian repos.
        In other words, no.

Comment

In Debian experimental would be a Steam compatible libc6 as well but when you build binaries and you want to share em then they would be all incompatible with pure wheezy. Steam began to ship a compat environment but they did it completely wrong. The bootstrap code requires a new libc6 and of course they don't use that compat files for bootstrapping. Absolutely useless code right now...

Basically wheezy is very interesting as it is the first multiarch Debian version. When you combine it with the backports I do for Kanotix Dragonfire which is wheezy based it looks pretty solid. I use of course latest kernel 3.8 and have got fglrx legcy 13.1, fglrx 13.2 beta 6, wine-unstable 1.5.24 and some others in my repo.

Steam worked since the beginning with Debian with my script. Just some stupid apps needed a few more tricks like Unity of Command (there you have to extract libc6 again in the program folder) or sometimes they have got weird dependency checks. I dont remember the demo right now, but no game should require ia32-libs, that's just wrong when the system is multiarch. Ubuntu uses it as meta package now but it will always be wrong when you check if that package is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Steam began to ship a compat environment but they did it completely wrong.
            Do you have documentation explaining how it should be done?

Comment

It's so nice that the Debian installer has progressed beyond 2001 and now supports WPA/WPA2.

Comment

I can't believe that people actually use Debian. I installed it once, and I remember thinking to myself "Wow, I remember this stuff. But, I want to use the new stuff!"

Somehow, I suspect that those KDE trollers we have around here(The ones who constantly complain about bugs) are using Debian - Martin Graesslin has generally(Not aimed toward Debian) addressed this (though, I don't have the link, sorry) about people who seek to have bugs fixed but they're using too old of a version to get their bug fixed. The KDE Devs only fix so far back. I would too.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                  It's so nice that the Debian installer has progressed beyond 2001 and now supports WPA/WPA2.
                  Its been true that the installer did not support wireless network connections for doing netinstalls until now. You always had to hook the machine up to a router with an Ethernet cable to do a netinstall. About time Debian got this missing feature installed.

However its not really a good idea to do a netinstall over a wireless connection as the connection is not as stable as an Ethernet connection, but soon you can if you do trust your wifi connection.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                    I can't believe that people actually use Debian. I installed it once, and I remember thinking to myself "Wow, I remember this stuff. But, I want to use the new stuff!"
                    It's a perfect work system. The most rock-solid distro in the universe, and I don't need bling or experimental kernel features for my workstation.

I used OpenSUSE and Kubuntu for a while and although they are both decent distros, there was too much breakage and whoopsies when updating for my liking.

I would prefer it if the unstable branch were a bit more up-to-date, but that's Debian for you. The "unstable" version would be called "stable" by any other distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X