Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I know, I <3 Debian, and switching the init system this late into a release cycle would be stupid.
    For example, systemd

I think that systemd could become the default init system when Debian 8.0 is released as by then it'll have matured into a rock-stable init system

Switching to systemd from sysvinit on an existing install is rather tricky without breaking something, so maybe at install time there should be an option to select your preferred init system (sysvinit, upstart, systemd)

Comment

Debian is a conservative distro. They stick to outdated technologies.
      Yeah gnome is moving at warp speed right now. 3.4 is near outdated.

LoLzzz. Gnome 3.8 is ready soon.

Too bad shitty KDE cant keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Yeah gnome is moving at warp speed right now. 3.4 is near outdated.

LoLzzz. Gnome 3.8 is ready soon.

Too bad shitty KDE cant keep up.
        GNOME has never been in a worse state, dude. Listen to the GNOME devs:

The transition to GNOME 3 has hurt them just like version 4.0 hurt KDE, but unlike KDE 4 which was years ahead of anything on Linux, GNOME is facing serious competition. The fact is that the KDE-GNOME duopoly is over and the age of many viable desktops has arrived. GNOME, KDE, Xfce, Unity and Cinnamon are all serious players at the moment, with a significant number of users sticking to a simpler WM+launcher+apps combo.

Personally, I think that this will benefit the users in the medium term.

Comment

GNOME has never been in a worse state, dude. Listen to the GNOME devs:

The transition to GNOME 3 has hurt them just like version 4.0 hurt KDE, but unlike KDE 4 which was years ahead of anything on Linux, GNOME is facing serious competition. The fact is that the KDE-GNOME duopoly is over and the age of many viable desktops has arrived. GNOME, KDE, Xfce, Unity and Cinnamon are all serious players at the moment, with a significant number of users sticking to a simpler WM+launcher+apps combo.

Personally, I think that this will benefit the users in the medium term.
          LOLzzzz. KDE is the losing part. You know it. I know it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            LOLzzzz. KDE is the losing part. You know it. I know it.
            Hardly.

Sometimes, being right is no fun. Three years ago, I suggested that the Linux desktop was headed for a future dominated by KDE, and that GNOME would be at

Sometimes, being right is no fun. Three years ago, I suggested that the Linux desktop was headed for a future dominated by KDE, and that GNOME would be at a disadvantage. Looking back, I conclude that I was right, if only approximately.

What I did not foresee was that GNOME 3 would not only lag behind KDE for code maturity and innovation, but fail catastrophically with users, resulting in alternative interfaces, ranging from Ubuntu's Unity to Linux Mint's re-creations of GNOME 2 in Cinnamon and Mate.

The collapse is so thorough that GNOME is reportedly now talking about obtaining a twenty percent share of the Linux desktop by 2020, where a few years ago its share was well over forty percent.

I know of no figures for traditional desktop usage in 2012, but LinuxQuestion's 2011 survey showed KDE in front, followed by Xfce. Cinnamon was too new to make the survey at all, and Mate registered only a few percent, but, like Unity, both are almost certain to do better this year.
            But, like I said, I see this as a GREAT thing. Now the major players will be forced to interoperate and create desktop standards instead of pushing incompatible solutions.

DBUS was the right way to go. NetworkManager too. We need more of such universal desktop technologies. A move to Akonadi would be a good choice, for example.

Comment

@DeepDayze

Basically it is possible to use systemd with wheezy but you need this as well after you installed systemd:
              Code:
              apt-get install --reinstall udev
              The systemd package in Debian wheezy is very old however and i could not say it is faster than multithreaded sysvinit. It also did not work on every box, one box with old hd worked, one with ssd didn't. So i can not say if it would improve boot speed.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with KDE 4. the problem is that there no good distros that support it. Kubuntu is attention starved, and opensuse is a usability nightmare. i tried KDE with opensuse 12.1 and it was terrible. i rather be raped with metro tiles in a cold basement then use opensuse again. and don't say fedora cuz it is broken alpha after broken alpha. we need a Ubuntu level support and love for KDE. Desktop environments are not wordpress plugins, they need talented designers and devs that are paid full time.

Comment

So you never tried Kanotix? The latest test images you find the site of a co-developer (he also wrote the installer):

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    there is nothing wrong with KDE 4. the problem is that there no good distros that support it. Kubuntu is attention starved, and opensuse is a usability nightmare. i tried KDE with opensuse 12.1 and it was terrible. i rather be raped with metro tiles in a cold basement then use opensuse again. and don't say fedora cuz it is broken alpha after broken alpha. we need a Ubuntu level support and love for KDE. Desktop environments are not wordpress plugins, they need talented designers and devs that are paid full time.
                    Mageia should be a good choice, and Gentoo, Arch and Debian all deliver a good vanilla KDE experience.

Comment

Most distros has a decent KDE packege. KDE is comparatively the Gnome based DEs easier to create decent package for.
                      Last edited by Akka; 21 February 2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X