Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME OS Working On A New Installer & Other Enhancements To Make It More Practical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Me: Trucks from the 1980s don't have backup radar systems.
    Sorry to say for where I am this is not right answer.

Toyota introduced ultrasonic Back Sonar on the 1982 Toyota Corona, offering it until 1988.
    Insurance companies here pushed for backup radar systems starting in the 1980s on trucks. Yes these were third party fitted the early ones was the Toyota Back Sonar from the Toyota Corona Jerry rigged to trucks. This reduced trucks backing into docks.

Yes you find 1970 trucks with backup radar added as third party. It possible for a person to have driven a long trucks of different ages and all of them have reversing radar with some fitted at factory and some fitted third party. So it is kind of important if you are asking a person to drive a car or a truck and it does not have reversing sensor system of some form be clear it missing.

Comment

Very cool to see this. Maybe they could consider doing what KDE Neon did and build a "GNOME as GNOME intended" which has all of the other benefits of Ubuntu which is a great distro, despite the hate.

Comment

Gnome? Practical? I thought april fools was already over though...

Comment

I'm really happy to find out about Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund. For years I've wanted goverments to have something like this to fund open-source software.

It looks like Germany is at least starting to have the right approach to investing in tech, not like the US who pours millions of dollars into development of technology that gets patented. Of course, I'm not surprised to see some drama over which projects are chosen, but this organization appears to be rather new. Their approach might change over the years. I don't think it's a bad idea to provide some funding to projects that some look down on, such as Gnome. I would hope that the funding would come with some goals over what the project should achieve to make it useful, but I'm not demanding that until the organization is more mature.

I have been using KDE Plasma as my desktop for years, and have been largely happy with it. I haven't tried Gnome for awhile, but it was too bare-bones last time I tried Gnome 3. I started using Linux only after Gnome 3 came out.

While I like Plasma, I don't have a firm stance of Qt vs GTK. I found Qt very nice to work with in C++ using Qt creator last time I tried doing that, so Qt is really nice to work with if you follow their intended workflow using C++. But I am now a D programmer, and D doesn't support multiple-inheritance, which Qt uses heavily, so I might need to choose GTK when I make a desktop application, even though it would be nice to get the luxuries of using Qt.

The sense I get from long-time Linux users and developers is that Gnome and GTK were well-liked and appreciated back before the 3.0 days, but then the developers of them got really insular and turned the Gnome desktop into something radical that few others liked, and then made unnecessary and poorly-received changes to GTK. It's unfortunate that they went from being the de-facto standard of Desktop Linux to mishandling their role as developers of widely-used software. I don't know anything about their decision-making structure, so I don't know how they could have went in this direction. I would hope that an organization giving them massive funding such as the Sovereign Tech Fund would try to make them more accountable. Maybe this will happen as the STF becomes more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
            The sense I get from long-time Linux users and developers is that Gnome and GTK were well-liked and appreciated back before the 3.0 days, but then the developers of them got really insular and turned the Gnome desktop into something radical that few others liked, and then made unnecessary and poorly-received changes to GTK. It's unfortunate that they went from being the de-facto standard of Desktop Linux to mishandling their role as developers of widely-used software. I don't know anything about their decision-making structure, so I don't know how they could have went in this direction. I would hope that an organization giving them massive funding such as the Sovereign Tech Fund would try to make them more accountable. Maybe this will happen as the STF becomes more mature.
            oh wow if gnome was so bad it wouldn't be the default on so many distros i's been 13 years from 3.0 lol not perfect but still the prettiest DE to lots of people with the least effort sure some people dont like it but many switched to gnome from other ssystems
            Last edited by pparker53; 22 May 2024, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X