Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APT 2.9 Released: Debian's APT 3.0 To Have A New UI With Colors, Columnar Display & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Not such fundamental ones.
    That's incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's incorrect.
      You may try to prove that highly questionable statement, but I don't know any distro that uses apt as package manager where you could choose not to update to a newer apt version. Sure, you can stay on Ubuntu LTS and even Debian has some long term support, but eventually you don't have any other choice than to update because of dependencies.

Comment

You may try to prove that highly questionable statement, but I don't know any distro that uses apt as package manager where you could choose not to update to a newer apt version. Sure, you can stay on Ubuntu LTS and even Debian has some long term support, but eventually you don't have any other choice than to update because of dependencies.
        Ok imma test this, gonna apt-mark hold apt and see how long it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
          Ok imma test this, gonna apt-mark hold apt and see how long it takes.
          Or if you had any idea how Debian based distros worked, you'd just look through reverse dependencies. There you'd see that there are a lot of packages depending on apt in some form. And not always will they accept any version of it. So good luck with the next OS upgrade without breaking everything.

Comment

Eh, I'm on Debian with Apt 2.6 and it has withstood the upgrades to 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 so far. And it's still rock solid.

And it's the same on Deepin V23, which is in its testing phase and built on top of Debian: 2.6 is default after install from the testing ISO, but you can upgrade to 2.7 or 2.8. I have not done that and the system is still upgrading and rock solid.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 14 April 2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Eh, I'm on Debian with Apt 2.6 and it has withstood the upgrades to 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 so far. And it's still rock solid.

And it's the same on Deepin V23, which is in its testing phase and built on top of Debian: 2.6 is default after install from the testing ISO, but you can upgrade to 2.7 or 2.8. I have not done that and the system is still upgrading and rock solid.
              Then read back about what was written. At no point it was about apt updates failing in proper usage scenarios. But if you pin your apt version not to receive v3.0, your system will eventually either break or refuse the upgrade altogether.

Comment

Then read back about what was written. At no point it was about apt updates failing in proper usage scenarios. But if you pin your apt version not to receive v3.0, your system will eventually either break or refuse the upgrade altogether.
                It's rock solid with no breakages for a few major versions now, so I don't see why it would happen with 3.0.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 14 April 2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

It's rock solid with no breakages for a few major versions now, so I don't see why it would happen with 3.0.
                  Then learn to actually read what I write and not what you guess. I never said what you imply. The exact opposite is true.

Comment

Or if you had any idea how Debian based distros worked, you'd just look through reverse dependencies. There you'd see that there are a lot of packages depending on apt in some form. And not always will they accept any version of it. So good luck with the next OS upgrade without breaking everything.
                    Oh thanks, that command will come in handy! It doesn't look too bad though, even if I remove --installed:
                    Code:
                    $ LANG=C apt rdepends apt --installed
                    apt
                    Reverse Depends:
                      Recommends: libapt-pkg6.0t64 (>= 2.9.0)
                      Breaks: libapt-pkg6.0t64 (<< 1.6~)
                      Depends: apt-utils (= 2.9.0)
                      Depends: tasksel
                      Depends: reportbug
                      Depends: python3-reportbug
                      Suggests: python3-apt
                      Suggests: dpkg
                      Recommends: deborphan
                      Depends: apt-file
                      Recommends: libapt-pkg6.0t64 (>= 2.9.1)
                      Depends: apt-utils (= 2.9.1)​

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
                      Oh thanks, that command will come in handy! It doesn't look too bad though, even if I remove --installed:
                      Code:
                      $ LANG=C apt rdepends apt --installed
                      apt
                      Reverse Depends:
                      Recommends: libapt-pkg6.0t64 (>= 2.9.0)
                      Depends: apt-utils (= 2.9.0)
                      Depends: tasksel
                      Depends: reportbug
                      Depends: python3-reportbug
                      Suggests: python3-apt
                      Suggests: dpkg
                      Recommends: deborphan
                      Depends: apt-file
                      Recommends: libapt-pkg6.0t64 (>= 2.9.1)
                      Depends: apt-utils (= 2.9.1)​
                      But it does once you include the implicit dependencies, not just the explicit ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X