Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APT 2.9 Released: Debian's APT 3.0 To Have A New UI With Colors, Columnar Display & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See also https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/lat...package-module for dealing in one way with different package managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
      I've never looked back at APT after switching to nala.
      I take a look at nala. It looks more like a TUI then pure CLI? I can always go to Synaptic if I want elaborated interface if better information.

Comment

In case someone wonders how to disable columnar list output:
        * pass -o APT::Get::List-Columns=0 when invoking apt;
        * add APT::Get::List-Columns "0"; to /etc/apt/apt.conf or in a (preferably new, I guess) file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d .

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

I take a look at nala. It looks more like a TUI then pure CLI? I can always go to Synaptic if I want elaborated interface if better information.
          So I take it you won't upgrade to APT 3.0 then?

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

No, it's just a much more user friendly CLI that hides irrelevant stuff and makes the important stuff easier to see. And by now it also has gotten its default settings straight. Having a scrolling text for the update log may look better for newbies at the first look, but can hide way to much relevant stuff, so they turned that off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So I take it you won't upgrade to APT 3.0 then?
              It's not something one chooses to, that's up to distro to upgrade the packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

It's not something one chooses to, that's up to distro to upgrade the packages.
                You can skip certain upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You can skip certain upgrades.
                  Not such fundamental ones.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post
                    I'm still waiting a common interface will be done by systemd one day for all package managers [ dnf , apt , pacman , ... ]
                    ( Dont get me wrong i'm not against different needs of different package managers, i just want a common interface for endusers )
                    Then you should stick to Windows. Already done there for long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Then you should stick to Windows. Already done there for long time now.
                      No, that's just yet another package manager or no package manager at all. But at least there you have WinGetUI, that can handle WinGet, the store, Chocolatey, pip, npm and the PowerShell package manager.

So yes, that has been done there a few years back. But on the CLI front, even Windows has no such thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X