Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Rolls Out Azure Linux 2.0.20240403 With Security Fixes & Other Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Rolls Out Azure Linux 2.0.20240403 With Security Fixes & Other Patches

Phoronix: Microsoft Rolls Out Azure Linux 2.0.20240403 With Security Fixes & Other Patches

Microsoft's Azure Linux formerly known as CBL-Mariner for their in-house Linux distribution is out with a new version. Azure Linux 2.0.20240403 was released overnight and comes with a number of security updates and other fixes...

Kinda funny that even Microsoft doesn't believe in Windows Server

Comment

That LZ4 one makes a lot of sense. AFAICT, you can't set which compression algorithm to use with systemd-coredump, only if you wanted compression or not. If you enable compression it went Zstd then LZ4 then XZ based on if they were installed or not. Not only that, you can't set the compression levels of XZ or Zstd which kind of defeats the purpose of those compressors.

If you look at the benchmarks when they added Zstd support, Zstd would be a great option if it's tunables were accessible. Based on Zstd 2, 3, and LZ4, it looks like one of the Zstd fast settings would be ideal for coredump.

It makes me wish that systemd actual would pick up this change or add a way to set the compressor and compressor level when applicable.

Granted, this is something you don't notice if you have things set to uncompressed and ZFS set to LZ4

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        Not true.
        Microsoft believes that they can offer a good product with Windows Server and many customers chose that product so they make money from it, else they wouldn't develop it.
        At the same time they're a cloud provider and as a cloud provider they want customers and then it doesn't matter if their customers chose Linux or Windows as long as they're paying customers so Microsoft is offering Linux along side Windows on Azure and it is making them money.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          It makes me wish that systemd actual would pick up this change or add a way to set the compressor and compressor level when applicable.
          Microsoft has several core contributors from all through the Linux stack including the Linux kernel and Systemd. So if they want to submit the changes as a PR upstream and get it merged, they certainly have resources to do that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Microsoft has several core contributors from all through the Linux stack including the Linux kernel and Systemd. So if they want to submit the changes as a PR upstream and get it merged, they certainly have resources to do that these days.
            I read the code comments.

/* For Mariner 2, we are HARDCODING coredump compression to use LZ4 because Azure Watson can't handle ZSTD */​

That's why. It's nothing too technical other than some of their systems don't do Zstd. Still, it'd be nice if coredump compression could be set in a config file instead of in a meson config file at build time or based on what it detects is installed. I can see why they haven't bothered doing that. It's sort of an irrelevant setting if you're using a file system that supports compression or are utilizing DeviceMapper. It's the same reason why I have makepkg set to uncompressed. The file system handles the compression.

Are you aware that the first four letters of your name is a racist term in my country? Does it mean something different where you're from?
            Last edited by skeevy420; 10 April 2024, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I read the code comments.

/* For Mariner 2, we are HARDCODING coredump compression to use LZ4 because Azure Watson can't handle ZSTD */​

That's why. It's nothing too technical other than some of their systems don't do Zstd. Still, it'd be nice if coredump compression could be set in a config file instead of in a meson config file at build time or based on what it detects is installed. I can see why they haven't bothered doing that. It's sort of an irrelevant setting if you're using a file system that supports compression or are utilizing DeviceMapper. It's the same reason why I have makepkg set to uncompressed. The file system handles the compression.
              Yep. They should just make it a config option.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Microsoft believes that they can offer a good product with Windows Server and many customers chose that product so they make money from it, else they wouldn't develop it.
                I don't think so. People's aren't paying for quality. They're paying, because they're familiar with it.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. Funny how some people dunk on Linux and why Windows is more secure and such. And then even Microsoft uses Linux. xD Man, in what world we live today, nobody would believe me this 15 years ago.

Comment

Azure stands on Windows and uses Hyper-V. So linux is dependent on Widnows.

Microsoft had its Unix and was making money on it when you weren't even born yet. And Xenix was at one time the most popular Unix.

So and trusts Windows Server and makes money on unix-like like in the 80s.

Comment

Working...
                    X