Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Increasing Its vm.max_map_count To Help Steam Play Games & Other Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's worth noting sometimes when you install applications, they can set/override it. For instance I went looking for what set my value, Apparently Ryujinx can create this

➜ ~ sysctl -a | grep max_map_count
    vm.max_map_count = 524288​
    ➜ ~ rg 'max_map' -l --max-depth 4 /etc 2> /dev/null
    /etc/sysctl.d/99-Ryujinx.conf
    /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/nvidia
    ➜ ~ cat /etc/sysctl.d/99-Ryujinx.conf
    vm.max_map_count = 524288​

Comment

Michael, I can't read the text on the post's screenshot, dont't be so greedy with the server bandwidth! :-), we deserve bigger screenshots!

Comment

Originally posted by luckylucky View Post
        Michael, I can't read the text on the post's screenshot, dont't be so greedy with the server bandwidth! :-), we deserve bigger screenshots!
        Click on the image or replace _med with _show in the address bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Click on the image or replace _med with _show in the address bar.
          Thanks for the tip! I'm on MS Edge browser (at my day job) and the image is not clickable.

Comment

Originally posted by luckylucky View Post
            Thanks for the tip! I'm on MS Edge browser (at my day job) and the image is not clickable.
            Oh, it's not clickable for me either. Then right click "open image in new tab" and replace like above. Sad that this isn't automated in 2024.

But don't give to much about those images, Michael just adds random pictures for search engine optimization (my guess).

Comment

I've encountered it in Star Citizen, without it crashes. (more often than usual).

sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=16777216

So the bump is too conservative un you have to alter it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

unless this was a very recent change, it isn't true, cuz i am on an endeavouros installation that is only a handful of months old and...

Code:
                $ sysctl -a | grep max_map_count
                vm.max_map_count = 65530

Manjaro on the other hand i recall did have this set higher by default.
                It is a 1.5 year old EndeavourOS KDE install. But the value today is: vm.max_map_count = 1048576

*after the filesystem package update today.

Comment

Interesting, I’m at 65530 on Gentoo, and games tend to work fine… Do we have a list of games that require a higher value?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Interesting, I’m at 65530 on Gentoo, and games tend to work fine… Do we have a list of games that require a higher value?
                    It's not just games, Elasticsearch requires it and Intellij pushes the limits of the default value.

Comment

well this seems a right mess on the arch based distros, it seems like the value is different for everyone despite nobody having touched the settings :'D

Well at least the floor will now be higher for us. I just set it manually tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X