Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Increasing Its vm.max_map_count To Help Steam Play Games & Other Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    well this seems a right mess on the arch based distros
    Only on Arch based distros or on all distros? I assume some applications or drivers can change this setting, depending on the hardware probably? In example I have a different setting, but I also use Linux Zen kernel (forgot about that when initially checking and replying here).

Comment

Maybe the value gets set according to available ram at install? Is there any downside in setting the value super high, does it reserve RAM that isn't usable otherwise? And if so why not make it dynamic?

Edit: arch with zen kernel: vm.max_map_count = 1048576 with 30 GB (-2 GB VRAM). I never touched that value and everything runs fine.
      Last edited by Anux; 09 April 2024, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Edit: arch with zen kernel: vm.max_map_count = 1048576 with 30 GB (-2 GB VRAM). I never touched that value and everything runs fine.
        Interesting. I'm on EndeavourOS and have Zen Kernel and 32 GB RAM + 8 GB VRAM. The vm.max_map_count is the same value like you have. Here is the description of Zen Kernel, if that has anything to do with it: https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-ke...d-Feature-List

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Maybe the value gets set according to available ram at install? Is there any downside in setting the value super high, does it reserve RAM that isn't usable otherwise? And if so why not make it dynamic?

Had 32gb on setup so it probably isn't that, unless it changed when i added the other 32gb.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            still a common issue for new comers having it set way too low. Kind of wish steam had a way to handle this, or wine apps.
            Steam can't handle this because it requires root to change. They could perhaps add Polkit support and change it that way but I'd be hesitant of giving Steam root access (not that I don't trust them).

Comment

Working...
            X