Fedora 40 Looks To Offer KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, Drop The KDE X11 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    The only exception i think is Nvidia driver - some systems like Ubuntu have nvidia driver directly in official repo, in case of Opensuse you need to add official repo that Nvidia maintains..
    Debian has, too: nvidia-driver

No need for *buntu

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
      My main concern would be kwin's crashes. They are common with X11, but not an issue since it can just be restarted. With Wayland, right now, compositor crash=everything crash and work around this issue is far from done (see previous news on it on Phoronix). As long as this happens, I will stick to X11. Wayland does not bring any feature I need and this is a major issue.
      This is actually being addressed in its entirety for 6.0 release in Q1 2024

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
        Kwin crashes under xorg don't result in applications exiting abruptly. I've not had a single xorg server crash over the past 15 years or so.

You tout it as a new cool feature except
        xorg
        never
        had
        this
        issue
        in
        the
        first
        place.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          My main concern would be kwin's crashes. They are common with X11, but not an issue since it can just be restarted. With Wayland, right now, compositor crash=everything crash and work around this issue is far from done (see previous news on it on Phoronix). As long as this happens, I will stick to X11. Wayland does not bring any feature I need and this is a major issue.
          "It's a brand new cool feature", Wayland fans.

And multiple heavy complex Wayland server implementations as well. It's how it's meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Great decision. Push people to drop X11. As long as people don't use Wayland, we won't be getting bug reports, and more contributions. What held back Wayland for so long was the fact that the GARBAGE Xorg was semi-working for most people and therefore were stuck in the old ways. Burn your ships! Force them to move forward!
            That's not how new tech is normally implemented by sane operating systems. Windows Vista had a brand new graphics stack and no one noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Kwin crashes under xorg don't result in applications exiting abruptly. I've not had a single xorg server crash over the past 15 years or so.

You tout it as a new cool feature except
              xorg
              never
              had
              this
              issue
              in
              the
              first
              place.
              But Kwin isn't the renderer in that scenario, Xorg is. When Xorg dies, everything goes with it.​ This responsibility moves to Kwin in the Wayland world, and Kwin can do much more interesting things to solve the problem for a more reliable user experience.

That's not how new tech is normally implemented by sane operating systems. Windows Vista had a brand new graphics stack and no one noticed.
              Oh no, people noticed. There's even a section in the Wikipedia article about criticisms of Windows Vista.
              Last edited by King InuYasha; 13 September 2023, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                I've been using KDE Wayland as a daily driver (with AMD graphics though) for more than 2.5 years now. I haven't had any issues that arise from me being on a Wayland session instead of an X11 one for a good, long while now.
                since 2020 i've been on gnome wayland. been rock solid. for a short awhile i did experiment with kde. kde x11 was pretty good, but had issues with wayland. the only thing i liked with kde was vrr support in wayland.

amd gpu as well.

lol no. people did notice. especially if you were on nvidia at the time because 30% of all bsod were caused by their drivers on vista. i had ati at the time and frequently got TDR's. at least they were recoverable. many people disabled aero because of how buggy and resource hog it was.
                Last edited by pieman; 13 September 2023, 05:47 PM.

Comment

The fuck are you smoking? lol Driver's had issues because they weren't properly updated to support said graphics stack. I remember my 3D animation professor even saying that the reason the lab computers were still on XP was because hardware renderer was effecting Softimage at the time.

Did you forget that Vista was really, really poorly received?

So are you ever going to take a leave from bitching on the Internet to actually learn about the things you're talking about? Did you ever think, in your hundreds of rants about what is or isn't good programming, that you should learn how to program? You've said something along the lines of "I only talk about things that I'm well-research on" but in reality you're just over-confident about your knowledge about things and actively ignore any information and all information from people who are better informed than you.

I had to actively link back to previous arguments we had for awhile just so that you couldn't constantly act like you weren't already corrected about something before.

It's the reason why, as avis, you've made it a point not to respond to my posts lol
                  Last edited by Myownfriend; 13 September 2023, 07:29 PM.

Comment

avis Vista had severe issues for months with its new graphics driver model, including bluescreens.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                      We all love Wayland, but apps, DEs, and features aren't mature enough to fully switch to.
                      Yeah well, if you keep Wayland in a testing only environment, nothing will ever improve for real, so I prefer using a partially broken modern tech and get real updates, rather than waiting 20 years that theory only does it's job.

Comment

Working...
                      X