No announcement yet.

Fedora 40 Looks To Offer KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, Drop The KDE X11 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Wayland is perfect. You all who have issues with it are just using it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Perhaps, you should address these issues to nvidia
      I never claimed these were KDE issues. I suspect they are mostly on the Nvidia side.

Comment

Fedora 40 looks to drop its brain

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I haven't tried it myself in a few years, but I was listening to a podcaster a couple of weeks ago who said after a year wtih Fedora he had moved to OpenSUSE because Fedora just had far too many abandoned and out-of-date packages in its repos. He said this wasn't an issue with OpenSUSE. Is this true generally, or just one person's experience? If Fedora's letting its repos get full of unmaintained junk, I don't think it would be one that people should be recommending any longer.
          Fedora isn't "rolling" release. It gets a lot of updates and patches and is certainly way faster than RHEL, but "newer" versions of software often wait for the next major release or at least a couple of weeks which is frustrating for stuff like browsers and daily use software. If you want it to be more rolling release you can just enable the Fedora testing repos and then stuff will stay more up-to-date. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is rolling release.

However, a lot of commercial software only supports SLES (MS Defender I'm looking at you) and not Leap or Tumbleweed vs. a lot will officially support Fedora.

Comment

Great decision. Push people to drop X11. As long as people don't use Wayland, we won't be getting bug reports, and more contributions. What held back Wayland for so long was the fact that the GARBAGE Xorg was semi-working for most people and therefore were stuck in the old ways. Burn your ships! Force them to move forward!

Comment

My main concern would be kwin's crashes. They are common with X11, but not an issue since it can just be restarted. With Wayland, right now, compositor crash=everything crash and work around this issue is far from done (see previous news on it on Phoronix). As long as this happens, I will stick to X11. Wayland does not bring any feature I need and this is a major issue.

Comment

I don't know what some people are complaining about.
                Long time Fedora user on multiple desktops and laptops here.
                I've only been running Gnome so far, but that works perfectly fine on Wayland using any GPU.
                Those on nvidia should just take 5 minutes to read the steps here: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
                And from the reports above, people have been using KDE wayland successfully as well, also on nvidia.

Comment

The desktop magnification on KDE behaves differently on X and Wayland.

The same goes for GNOME desktop, but I know this article is about KDE and Fedora 40.
                  This video is intended for the Linux community and developers that can fix any issues associated with the GNOME Magnifier and possibly Pipewire. Currently running Nobara 36 with GNOME 42 in my AMD Ryz...

Comment

andyprough You-

I would say opensuse has particulary rich default repo, and in general pretty well updated.

For example : I used to write some automated selenium tests. I am only aware of 2 distros that offer good repos with webrowser+webdriver. One is opensuse (both leap and tumbleweed) another was Alpine. I couldn't find updated matching by version to webrowser webdriver in anything Ubuntu based/Debian based/RHEL based/Fedora etc.

Most distros are forced to for example grab docker from docker repository. Well Opensuse has very up-to-date docker in official repository. I would say if you don't want to add 3rd party repositories, Opensuse offers probably best expierience out of all distros. The only exception i think is Nvidia driver - some systems like Ubuntu have nvidia driver directly in official repo, in case of Opensuse you need to add official repo that Nvidia maintains..

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                      My main concern would be kwin's crashes. They are common with X11, but not an issue since it can just be restarted. With Wayland, right now, compositor crash=everything crash and work around this issue is far from done (see previous news on it on Phoronix). As long as this happens, I will stick to X11. Wayland does not bring any feature I need and this is a major issue.
                      This is actually something that KDE Plasma 6 will be able to handle even better than X11 does.

Comment

Working...
                      X