No announcement yet.

openSUSE Slowroll Released As A Slower Alternative To openSUSE Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, any physicists here working on Inflation? Just came to me that slow roll has quite an importance there

Comment

And another thought: looks like SuSE has given up on the idea of SLED, and ALP will be more of a SLES successor. Hence the need for a new concept for Desktop Leap.

Slow roll sounds ok in my view, even though Leap is probably the best LTS distro to date :/

Comment

This is actually very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          ...Yeah, it's definitely very confusing at this point. Like is Slowroll going to be just a temporary solution until there's going to be a desktop variant of ALP in a few years, which then probably will be the actual Leap successor? But then I've also seen claims that ALP might not even be focused on the desktop...
          I watched a fair number of the YouTube openSuse conference postings about a month ago, and it was plainly apparent that nobody but nobody knew what the hell was going on with the Desktop. It was also crystal clear that microOS / ALP was where enterprise was headed but that the undertaking was (my take) way larger than they ever expected. Honestly, it was painful to watch those System Devs duck and weave around anything resembling a concrete answer in response to some hard questions in the Open Forum sessions.

Comment

As long as it "slowrolls" the core and keeps some of the more edge applications (Firefox, Chromium, Edge, PowerShell, ansible, terraform, etc...) recent I'm fine with that. However, if they start tracking Firefox ESR or just waiting a month to roll a new Firefox out then I'm out. I use Tumbleweed for a work box and Arch on a personal box.

I wish SUSE would work to get MS Defender for Endpoint supported for Tumbleweed vs. just SLES. Fedora is a supported distro.
            Last edited by rhavenn; 12 September 2023, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Killing Leap is bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                Killing Leap is bad idea
                Yes a very bad idea... because i use it now on nearly 400 Servers 😒

Comment

They might as well make a VerySlowRoll that updates at the frequency of a fixed release like Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS while they are at it.

Best of all worlds. Packages are taken directly from Tumbleweed at fixed release intervals of two years, and they are not stuck with ensuring compatibility or lockstep with SUSE Enterprise, so there's absolutely no duplication of effort. Tumbleweed is SlowRoll is VerySlowRoll.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground0 View Post

Yes a very bad idea... because i use it now on nearly 400 Servers 😒
                    For servers you'll be fine. There will be 1:1 OpenSUSE versions of ALP. It's desktop where the uncertainty lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      They might as well make a VerySlowRoll that updates at the frequency of a fixed release like Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS while they are at it.

Best of all worlds. Packages are taken directly from Tumbleweed at fixed release intervals of two years, and they are not stuck with ensuring compatibility or lockstep with SUSE Enterprise, so there's absolutely no duplication of effort. Tumbleweed is SlowRoll is VerySlowRoll.
                      The challenge is that the farther the drift from current Tumbleweed, the more maintenance you need for security backports. If Slowroll is only ever 1 or 2 months behind Tumbleweed, I bet you can fix most security issues by just fast tracking an updated package from Tumbleweed into Slowroll (along with any updated dependencies in rare cases).

Comment

Working...
                      X