X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get all this zypper vs dnf
    they both use rpms
    they both use libsolv
    so redhat came up with rpm and suse adopted it and improved it with libsolv which then got adopted by redhat again.

both manage to install a distro and update their packages

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      What a stupid, stupid move. To me they're saying, "We recognize that our enterprise distribution isn't that good so we've decided to offer you what our competitor offers."

10M for a RHEL clone? They'd be better off spending that on TV ads about why people should switch to SLE, OpenSUSE, and Tumbleweed instead of cloning what their competition does.

Serious Question: Did SUSE run out of innovations?
      The world of large companies is intertwined today, not everyone uses a single solution, SUSE sells support, SUSE has also been offering support to companies that use RH for some time, ever heard of Liberty? Nothing new ! This fork maybe needed after RH changes.
      But all this has nothing to do with openSUSE and the distributions of SUSE, which will continue to exist.​

Comment

Haha... Phoronix's forum section is the ultimate in video-game-style consumer idiocy. RedHat refuses to release their patches.. everyone cries. SUSE says they'll pick up the torch and try to continue releasing a RHEL-compatible distro... EVEN MORE CRYING. You people are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by mercster View Post
          Haha... Phoronix's forum section is the ultimate in video-game-style consumer idiocy. RedHat refuses to release their patches.. everyone cries. SUSE says they'll pick up the torch and try to continue releasing a RHEL-compatible distro... EVEN MORE CRYING. You people are ridiculous.
          Well,
          I would said that we are not so well informed, so that is why you can see people crying.

How many of us knew, that SUSE is selling support for RHEL installations, and that they do that by letting customers to use what they have already installed?
          Look at my previous comment with links.
          If we knew that, we would understand that from business perspective SUSE needs to keep binary compatibility with RHEL.
          It looks like for SUSE it is cheaper to pay Rocky to make sure, they can get RHEL binary compatible clone and sell support for their customers that use that clone.
          Now it looks quite good and normal - isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I make 55k in a suburb of Ft. Worth Texas. 3 years of experience, bachelors in CS, masters of applied science in IT and management. Some python development, lots of Linux server admin, some Windows server admin. Basically classified as "Dev Ops". I don't know what my insurance and benefits are that are paid for by the company I work for.
            I made that in Houston nearly 20 years ago, right out of school with a bachelors in CS, didn't have a masters, and it was one of the lowest paying companies even at that time.

As pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx noted you should definitely be looking for another job as you are being vastly underpaid.

And don't forget there are many companies that hire remote workers, so don't limit yourself to just local companies.

Comment

Working...
            X