SUSE Announces Its Forking RHEL, To Maintain A RHEL-Compatible Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
    Many will look for orgs which provides BSD support.
    As someone who LOVES OpenBSD and FreeBSD, I Would love nothing more than this but don't see it happening. What makes you think the RHEL/IBM catastrophe will cause more *BSD adoption?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

What city are you from? Average total comp in Austin for a senior software engineer is ~$180k, Dallas is ~$170k, Houston is ~$165k. Glassdoor has tons of salary data. Lookup basically any big metro area. I picked Memphis and Denver at random and they were in the same range. $60k would only be "normal" for a college hire in a tiny town without much of a software industry. Even our college hires make twice that. And "loaded cost" means the total cost of employment including insurance etc.
      I make 55k in a suburb of Ft. Worth Texas. 3 years of experience, bachelors in CS, masters of applied science in IT and management. Some python development, lots of Linux server admin, some Windows server admin. Basically classified as "Dev Ops". I don't know what my insurance and benefits are that are paid for by the company I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I make 55k in a suburb of Ft. Worth Texas. 3 years of experience, bachelors in CS, masters of applied science in IT and management. Some python development, lots of Linux server admin, some Windows server admin. Basically classified as "Dev Ops". I don't know what my insurance and benefits are that are paid for by the company I work for.
        1. I'm sorry to let you know that you are getting screwed for any reasonably technical role in the Dallas / FW area.
        2. You are welcome for learning that you are getting screwed .
        Seriously though, the job market isn't the best right now, but even a role like a Windows sys admin with your experience should be making more. If you haven't already, I'd definitely poke around on LinkedIn and see if there are openings that look interesting to you and are a good fit.

Comment

Can anyone explain to me how this makes any kind of sense?

They have SLES and they are investing $10M on their competitor? Why not spend and invest in SLES?
          So they now have internal and external competition.

Instead of selling SLES as a trusty alternative to RHEL they are paying to keep users in RHEL ecosystem.
          Plus competing with Oracle.

Thank you, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post

They have SLES and they are investing $10M on their competitor? Why not spend and invest in SLES?

Instead of selling SLES as a trusty alternative to RHEL they are paying to keep users in RHEL ecosystem.

Thank you, I guess?
            • Your org runs scripts to convert your RHEL instances to whatever this new thing gets named from SUSE.
            • Your org saves money because SUSE charges you less for enterprise support than RH did, SUSE still makes a nice margin.
            • Your org has a long ~9 year runway to migrate to SLE / ALP.
            $10M is a pretty small investment if they can get some traction and be your support provider for "SRHEL" and end up with a bigger funnel for SLE / ALP customers.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post

Thank you, I guess?
              It makes as much sense as giving out ZERO developer licenses for SLES. I went with the 16 in RHEL instead.

Comment

Well, in the current situation, the world is changing at break neck speeds, the foundations were our society sit, now are openly broken..
                Tectonic shifts happen has we speak, and companies need more than ever to look to themselves instead of pseudo alliances they pretend to have, but in the end they don't exist..
                Suse Linux, is several years ahead of RedHat in hardware support, and easy of management.
                You just need to follow the last Suse documentation to understand that..one interesting area is storage,fcoe CNAs,etc
                Its documentation is superb, and you wont find nothing, even close, to what suse provides..and we doesn't even started to talk about their installer, which is awesome.

RedHat has good support, but more on software level,.I think Suse can have the same of better, if they really want.

Now with this move from RedHat..I think Gnu/Linux OSes will start to move, and protect themselves from this type of aggressive behaviour..
                In my opinion RedHat is violating GPL..completely..

Countries currently are all checking for its sovereignty of operating systems, etc...they need to ensure their sovereignty more than ever,at least in the long term, I think we will see a lot of forks, fragmentation, cracks will appear..
                I don't know if the linux kernel will survive to that, unfortunately...if they manage to stay neutral, and outside the madness, and continue to respect GPL and have the notion of broader community, without exception, maybe they will..

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

It makes as much sense as giving out ZERO developer licenses for SLES. I went with the 16 in RHEL instead.
                  Why do you need some limited node "developer license" for SLE where you still have to screw around with machine registration? OpenSUSE Leap 15.3 and newer are using the same base binary packages as SLE. You can spin up infinity Leap instances for testing / screwing around. You can migrate any machines you want support for to SLE within minutes. You can also roll them back to Leap in a few minutes.

Tim Irnich, Developer Community Architect at SUSE, coauthored ...

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

When was the last time you used dnf? [...] Zypper definitely feels slower than dnf these days.
                    BTW, dnf5 (which will be the default in upcoming Fedora 39 and later RHEL), is massively faster than dnf4. (Python→C++, simplified internal architecture, more efficient repo handling, parallelization of operations.)

Comment

There are some misconceptions, so let me explain few things:

1. SUSE is selling support for RHEL instalations (so customer can pay SUSE less money to support exisiting RHEL instalation, instead of paying more to RH).
                      Take a look at SUSE Liberty Linux.
                      there is technical documentation how to switch to SUSE Liberty Linux without reinstalling everything:
                      SUSE is doing it for years.
                      They are not going to ditch SLES.

2. Debian has 10 years support by LTS and then Extended-LTS.
                      So if you need long term support for you systems you can use Debian too.
                      (unless your application is not supported on Debian of course).

i.e. Debian 8.0 (Jessie)LTS and ELTS updates are available for free (but you can pay for ELTS support to make sure you packages are supported).

Going from normal release to LTS is simple - nothing to do.
                      If you use Unattended-Upgrades you have to make sure you have oldstable and oldoldstable as accepted origins.
                      Switching to Extended LTS require you to add freexian keys and apt sources, remove old source (because they were move to archive) and installing new kernel (from backports).
                      If you use Unattended-Upgrades you have to make sure you have origin=Freexian as accepted origins.

With unattended upgrades the system can take care of updating itself (automatically) for years. That works - I know from multiple years of practice.
                      With needrestart it can restart services that use updated libraries.
                      Needrestart can also be used as monitoring source (nagios plugin type output) for letting you know, that you have to reboot to run new kernel, or restart some services (if you prefer to do it manually).

Documentation for configuring ELTS: https://www.freexian.com/lts/extende...-extended-lts/
                      Documentation for installing newer supported kernel: https://www.freexian.com/lts/extende...rnel-backport/

LTS is run by Debian itself.
                      Extended LTS is run by Freexian: Services company specialized in Debian GNU/Linux (by Debian developers).

Comment

Working...
                      X