SUSE Announces Its Forking RHEL, To Maintain A RHEL-Compatible Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Announces Its Forking RHEL, To Maintain A RHEL-Compatible Distro

Phoronix: SUSE Announces Its Forking RHEL, To Maintain A RHEL-Compatible Distro

Yesterday Oracle published an interesting announcement and doubled down on their intentions of keeping Oracle Linux compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux following Red Hat's controversial announcement last month. Today is another very interesting response to Red Hat's recent shift, this time from the SUSE Linux folks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please no! I don't want you to end up killing openSUSE and SLE due to this...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 11 July 2023, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Bold move, this is blowing up in Red Hat's (IBM's) face real fast.

Comment

this is a Joke, Suse would have to stop using Zyppher in it an use DNF, no one will use that Crap Suse ships as a Package Manager

Comment

It's not the 1st of April, is it?

I like the idea behind it, but what COULD this mean for SEL and ALP in the long run? And don't cite the press release please. Are the folks at Suse really capable of maintaining another enterprise solution? These are some big shoes to fill...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            Bold move, this is blowing up in Red Hat's (IBM's) face real fast.
            I don't think. This seems to be a RHEL "fork", not a "clone". Red Hat is only against the various RHEL "clones" that exist. In fact I think RH might even be fine with it since it proabably builds off CentOS Stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
              It's not the 1st of April, is it?
              My thoughts exactly. But I'd have thought SUSE would be better off staying where they are, as the situation might have lead to people moving away from RHEL-based distros.

Comment

What a stupid, stupid move. To me they're saying, "We recognize that our enterprise distribution isn't that good so we've decided to offer you what our competitor offers."

10M for a RHEL clone? They'd be better off spending that on TV ads about why people should switch to SLE, OpenSUSE, and Tumbleweed instead of cloning what their competition does.

Serious Question: Did SUSE run out of innovations?

Comment

I had to check the calendar when I saw this article. It's not April?!

Comment

But why? They already have well established enterprise distribution. Why waste money to fork another enterprise distribution?

Comment

Working...
                    X