No announcement yet.

SUSE Announces Its Forking RHEL, To Maintain A RHEL-Compatible Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just more proof that the entire Linux ecosystem is is populated primarily by people with their heads up their asses.

I like SUSE, I am even posting this from Open Suse Leap based Gecko STATIC but I have to say that there is nothing about this announcement, or even the whole communities response to Red Hat's move that makes much sense.

As has been pointed out already, what Oracle, Rocky, Alma and now SUSE is tacitly admitting is that Red Hat's product is way better than anything they can gobble together and so they have to copy Red Hat's product bit-for-bit in order to compete.

SUSE's announcement is even more perplexing because they claim they will invest more than 10 million dollars into creating and maintaining a fork, though notably they didn't say over what period of time they were planning on spending that much money, maybe it's over 10,000 years.

If I were a Red Hat salesperson, I would be using all these announcements in my sales pitch, to wit, look at how good our product is that would-be competitors are willing to steal our work rather than sell you their own produced product.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 11 July 2023, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Please no! I don't want you to end up killing openSUSE and SLE due to this...
      I guess that you should prepare to say goodbye Zypper soon. Anyway, dnf is not fully a part of RedHat origin, libsolv was developed for SUSE at 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        this is a Joke, Suse would have to stop using Zyppher in it an use DNF, no one will use that Crap Suse ships as a Package Manager
        SLE and openSUSE alreads supports DNF optionally. See: https://en.opensuse.org/SDBNF

But personally I hate DNF. DNF is slow, cluttered, and lacks many features. Zypper and APT are worlds better.
        Last edited by Malsabku; 11 July 2023, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
          SLE and openSUSE alreads supports DNF optionally.

But personally I hate DNF. DNF is slow, cluttered, and lacks many features. Zypper and APT are worlds better.
          Zypper is fine, but god does it need multiple / threaded download streams. My Arch box can download, patch, reboot and log back in before Tumbleweed is even done downloading everything.

Comment

this comedy says it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfUbb8zvFeY

Comment

hey, there is still plenty of time till April 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                When was the last time you used dnf? I've bounced between Fedora and Tumbleweed for years (typing this from TW). Zypper definitely feels slower than dnf these days. I love some things from zypper like explicit repo priorities, the command syntax is wonderfully obvious, but performance isn't one of those good points. Also, I'm curious what you prefer from apt compared to dnf? Capabilities like dnf history are glorious compared to grepping through multiple logs in Debian.
                Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 11 July 2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

People seem to be misunderstanding what this announcement is about. I would 100% expect this fork to be about allowing customers to migrate their RHEL or RHEL-based systems into the SLE ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                    The loaded cost of a dev for this is probably north of $200K USD annually.
                    Maybe in Silicon Valley or NYC, but not in any other state, developers make about 60k USD from where I'm from in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                      Maybe in Silicon Valley or NYC, but not in any other state, developers make about 60k USD from where I'm from in Texas.
                      What city are you from? Average total comp in Austin for a senior software engineer is ~$180k, Dallas is ~$170k, Houston is ~$165k. Glassdoor has tons of salary data. Lookup basically any big metro area. I picked Memphis and Denver at random and they were in the same range. $60k would only be "normal" for a college hire in a tiny town without much of a software industry. Even our college hires make twice that. And "loaded cost" means the total cost of employment including insurance etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X