Debian GNU/Hurd 2023 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Thousands gaming on GNU/Linux? Maybe. On Proton? Possibly. With Xbox controllers? I don't believe you.
    *holds up his hand* I use an XBox 360 controller and a HOTAS One. But I don't use Proton. So, I'm either one of the three, or one of the thousands. But I will point out the tens of millions of Windows gamers couldn't care less about Linux gaming, either. There's always a bigger fish eying you with disdainful eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

What other programs do you use?
      Emacs is quite feature complete, it contains everything one might need. Except maybe a good text editor.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😉

Comment

It's true. But on the same day we celebrate the kernel adding more rumble for the 3 people who [try to] use Microsoft Xbox controllers while [trying to] game with desktop GNU/Linux.

If one-tenth the effort went into Hurd that goes into nonsensical Linux kernel "features", I could well imagine that thousands or even millions of users could benefit. Maybe even one-one-hundredth.
        Well, considering the fact that the Steam Deck uses the Linux kernel, it is very likely that a lot of people are connecting Xbox or Playstation controllers to it.
        I did so.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
          It's hilarious that GNU is still trying to make linux-less GNU, when we're so close to a GNU-less linux. Maybe the two can go their separate ways and we can forget about one of them. XD

These days with uutils the only GNU component that's irreplaceable is make. Alpine (the basis of postmarketOS and a lot of containers/servers) is pretty much GNU-free, and they're not the only ones.
          I don't think there is any other notable distro that's GNU-less, besides Alpine.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            I think they should skip AMD64 and go straight to RISC-V. A free kernel on free hardware seems to fit their goals best. And by the time their kernel is usable we'll also have good RISC-V hardware. (We'll also be living in Martian colonies...)
            The RISC-V hardware that's end-user usable right now is not free hardware thanks to it's pro-propriety license. AMD64 is just as free as RISC-V chips for end-users.

Comment

Thousands gaming on GNU/Linux? Maybe. On Proton? Possibly. With Xbox controllers? I don't believe you.
              I am one of those who use an Xbox controller with Steam Big Picture mode on Endeavour OS. If the other 2 could chime in, we would know who the three are, who are using the Xbox controller on Linux with this nonsensical feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

What other programs do you use?
                lynx surfraw

I should probably try out a console XMPP client for jmp.chat. Emacs' jabber mode was pretty bad the last time I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Emacs is quite feature complete, it contains everything one might need. Except maybe a good text editor.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😉
                  You're not wrong. I'm using emacs for email, org-mode, irc. I want to try evil mode in emacs on the Hurd, but the last time I installed Doom Emacs, emacs eventually crashed so bad that I had to re-install the Hurd.

Comment

Originally posted by jbranso View Post

lynx surfraw

I should probably try out a console XMPP client for jmp.chat. Emacs' jabber mode was pretty bad the last time I tried it.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post
                      But we hope that AIs will continue developing Hurd with an 1.0 release ready sometime in the 25 century.
                      When reading the announcement, I remembered my days in college, when I was wondering if I should start with Linux or directly move to Hurd as it was the way of the future that would take off any time soon... This was in 1996.

On the positive side, everybody gets older but Hurd! In any case, kudos for the devs for their steadfast work! (here I'm serious)

Comment

Working...
                      X