Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Hurd 2023 Released

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Hurd 2023 Released

Following this weekend's release of Debian 12.0, the Debian GNU Hurd port has been released that rather than utilizing the Linux kernel is making use of GNU Hurd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope there is progress and some real hardware usage possibilities, heck even emulated that could be interesting, I am getting tired of samba / nfs / webdav the way it's used under linux, would be nice to directly access ssh or other protocols outside of some mounting system and I would love to have some sort of tagging filesystem or emulated network access.

Even something simple like on the fly TRAMP that I love in Emacs could be implemented / accessed through other applications. I searched a few weeks ago for a replacement for TRAMP on a system level, and linux offers nothing comparable that even comes close.

Comment

A old saying defines the Hurd situation on the GNU ecosystem perfectly: "there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution". Linux was supposed to be the backup, but now it is more permanent than anything.

I can see Hurd developing as a alternative to Linux in some niche places, but even then you already have the BSDs for that. Like the free Nvidia driver, I see no need for it, but I'm also not against someone using his/her time to improve it.

Comment

Yay, I'm happy for the 3 users of Hurd!

(Couldn't resist to honor the tradition. )

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Yay, I'm happy for the 3 users of Hurd!

(Couldn't resist to honor the tradition. )
          It's true. But on the same day we celebrate the kernel adding more rumble for the 3 people who [try to] use Microsoft Xbox controllers while [trying to] game with desktop GNU/Linux.

If one-tenth the effort went into Hurd that goes into nonsensical Linux kernel "features", I could well imagine that thousands or even millions of users could benefit. Maybe even one-one-hundredth.

Comment

Hurd is even more stupid than FreeBSD.

We already got Linux, just focus on that...

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
              Hurd is even more stupid than FreeBSD.

We already got Linux, just focus on that...
              I didn't know you were paying for these development. Thank you!

Comment

Have you Hurd the GNUs?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It's true. But on the same day we celebrate the kernel adding more rumble for the 3 people who [try to] use Microsoft Xbox controllers while [trying to] game with desktop GNU/Linux.

If one-tenth the effort went into Hurd that goes into nonsensical Linux kernel "features", I could well imagine that thousands or even millions of users could benefit. Maybe even one-one-hundredth.
                  I'm sure the thousands of people playing windows games on proton with xbox controllers don't see these features as nonsensical.

Comment

It's hilarious that GNU is still trying to make linux-less GNU, when we're so close to a GNU-less linux. Maybe the two can go their separate ways and we can forget about one of them. XD

These days with uutils the only GNU component that's irreplaceable is make. Alpine (the basis of postmarketOS and a lot of containers/servers) is pretty much GNU-free, and they're not the only ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X