Debian GNU/Hurd 2023 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbranso View Post

I happen to be one of those 3 users. I'm using it on a really old T43. Using Emacs in the console...
    What other programs do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Said it before, but the most confusing thing about HURD to me isn't that people develop for an obscure useless hobby OS, it's that they develop specifically for HURD.
      SerenityOS, ReactOS, Redox, Haiku, even TempleOS, they all make sense in some way or another, have some purpose. HURD is probably the dictionary definition of a useless OS. It's not fulfilling any purpose, not usable anywhere, doesn't even really have a community. I think most people deranged enough to work on it have just moved on to Linux-libre.
      It is a containment project, so that its devs aren't disturbing other, more serious, projects.

In operating system design, we've gone a long way since Mach and HURD.

Genode's architecture is the way to go, whereas Managarm is a nice "Linux, but better architected" system.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Thousands gaming on GNU/Linux? Maybe. On Proton? Possibly. With Xbox controllers? I don't believe you.
        I think you'd be surprised. The Steam Deck has sold millions. Hell I play mine with a Google Stadia controller and so do my friends. Bet you weren't expecting to hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
          Hurd is even more stupid than FreeBSD.

We already got Linux, just focus on that...
          Following your (lack of) logic everyone should be using Windows...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

they chose the wrong microkernel

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
              Genode's architecture is the way to go, whereas Managarm is a nice "Linux, but better architected" system.
              This managarm thing looks pretty cool, and it's got some hardware support and some support for a few typical GNU/Linux packages. And some qemu images. Very interesting, thank you for mentioning it.

Comment

I think they should skip AMD64 and go straight to RISC-V. A free kernel on free hardware seems to fit their goals best. And by the time their kernel is usable we'll also have good RISC-V hardware. (We'll also be living in Martian colonies...)

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

they're just trying to achieve what they believe in.

you might not share the same beliefs, but you should however appreciate their willfulness (I'm not 100% sure this is the correct English term, but I hope you get the idea)
                  I agree, and "tenacity", "audacity", and "resolve" would be excellent words to add to your vocabulary.
                  Last edited by idrisz19; 12 June 2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idrisz19 View Post

I agree, and "tenacity", "audacity", and "resolve" would be excellent words to add to your vocabulary.
                    Gumption!

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                      I think they should skip AMD64 and go straight to RISC-V. A free kernel on free hardware seems to fit their goals best. And by the time their kernel is usable we'll also have good RISC-V hardware. (We'll also be living in Martian colonies...)
                      More likely the human race will have self extincted. But we hope that AIs will continue developing Hurd with an 1.0 release ready sometime in the 25 century.

Comment

Working...
                      X