Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 38 Beta Released With Many Exciting Updates

Phoronix: Fedora 38 Beta Released With Many Exciting Updates

The beta of Fedora 38 is out and on-time this morning for those wanting to test this latest major update to Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to note: Fedora 38 Beta is not on-time, it's a week early. See https://fedorapeople.org/groups/sche...key-tasks.html for the formal schedule.

Comment

I chuckle at the though that sometime in the near future they'll be using what could be described as the Fedora Unified Community Kernel.

RHEL could use the Extended Release Support version.

Comment

Originally posted by sgallagh View Post
        Just to note: Fedora 38 Beta is not on-time, it's a week early. See https://fedorapeople.org/groups/sche...key-tasks.html for the formal schedule.
        That's not how you're supposed to adjust your clocks for DST

Comment

Originally posted by sgallagh View Post
          I'm sure they are still on track to release late, as usual

Comment

DNF5 will be available as well through the Microdnf binary!

I hope Fedora devs implement a dnfdaemon plugin for gnome-software and ditch PackageKit in the future, maybe we are finally close of a non-hanging and fast gnome-software experience?

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
              DNF5 will be available as well through the Microdnf binary!

I hope Fedora devs implement a dnfdaemon plugin for gnome-software and ditch PackageKit in the future, maybe we are finally close of a non-hanging and fast gnome-software experience?
              GNOME Software performance is unrelated to PackageKit (to confirm this, try pkcon on the command line or run some basic profiling) and the performance issues are being addressed elsewhere.

Comment

I was quite disappointed with version 37 because its boot times increased threefold on my laptop due to some changes in systemd (not being addressed as no one gives a f) and GTK (no NVIDIA here, I'm all Intel), I wanna hope this regression is less prominent in Fedora 38.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

GNOME Software performance is unrelated to PackageKit (to confirm this, try pkcon on the command line or run some basic profiling) and the performance issues are being addressed elsewhere.
                  I'm not really talking about rendering time or things like that, on Fedora at least, I've seen so many times hangs because repos never finish refreshing so GNOME Software gets stuck forever, the only solution there is to kill gnome-software and PackageKit processes. I think the issues are shared, for example, GNOME Software woking only with Flathub enabled and nothing else (the Endless OS case, more or less, which is Flathub and their own Flatpak repo), it never hangs, it's always quick, it's like the day and night.

OTOH, what a bad approach is to always having to sync all the repo metadata (and appstream!) to use the Software center instead of using APIs for querying what's needed, it doesn't scale too well, I wonder what would happen when Flathub have 20k apps or something.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post

I'm not really talking about rendering time or things like that, on Fedora at least, I've seen so many times hangs because repos never finish refreshing so GNOME Software gets stuck forever, the only solution there is to kill gnome-software and PackageKit processes. I think the issues are shared, for example, GNOME Software woking only with Flathub enabled and nothing else (the Endless OS case, more or less, which is Flathub and their own Flatpak repo), it never hangs, it's always quick, it's like the day and night .
                    That's not enough info to conclude that the issues are shared given that Endless has several other local patches. To understand the distinction, do what I suggested earlier, when you have a problem again, try pkcon on the command line.

Comment

Working...
                    X