X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe they'll release Fedora 38 stable in May with kernel 6.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

That's not enough info to conclude that the issues are shared given that Endless has several other local patches. To understand the distinction, do what I suggested earlier, when you have a problem again, try pkcon on the command line.
      Thanks, I'll do that.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
        I believe they'll release Fedora 38 stable in May with kernel 6.3.0
        That's unlikely. By the time 6.3 is released Fedora 38 will be frozen and certainly not accepting a major kernel upgrade. It will be offered in the weeks following the release of F38, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

That's unlikely. By the time 6.3 is released Fedora 38 will be frozen and certainly not accepting a major kernel upgrade. It will be offered in the weeks following the release of F38, for sure.
          Fedora 37 was about to get released with kernel 5.19 but it was delayed as usual so they were decided to release it with kernel 6.0 (Freeze Exceptions).

Comment

GNOME Software performance is unrelated to PackageKit (to confirm this, try pkcon on the command line or run some basic profiling) and the performance issues are being addressed elsewhere.
            Whether or not packagekit is to blame doesn't change the fact that if you go ahead and delete the packagekit GNOME Software plugin from Fedora right now, your GNOME Software experience will be so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's not how you're supposed to adjust your clocks for DST
              we use FST - Fedora Saving Time.
              The day before a release we put the calendar 7 days back

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post

Fedora 37 was about to get released with kernel 5.19 but it was delayed as usual so they were decided to release it with kernel 6.0 (Freeze Exceptions).
                I hate to throw facts into the mix (because that is so not the Phoronix forum standard), but F37 was delayed not because it was not ready, but due to a strong recommendation (by those that had access to the embargoed details) that an OpenSSL fix which had been initially categorized as critical should be included in the release. By the time the embargo was lifted, the categorization had been downgraded based on further analysis, but it was arguably the right decision by the Fedora project at the time.

Once it was delayed, a few additional fixes (and kernel uplift) were included, as they were already starting to roll out to previous Fedora releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Whether or not packagekit is to blame doesn't change the fact that if you go ahead and delete the packagekit GNOME Software plugin from Fedora right now, your GNOME Software experience will be so much better.
                  Only if you don't care about installing RPM packages which I do. If you prefer the Flatpak model, you can be using Fedora Silverblue instead which doesn't use traditional RPM packages at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I hate to throw facts into the mix (because that is so not the Phoronix forum standard), but F37 was delayed not because it was not ready, but due to a strong recommendation (by those that had access to the embargoed details) that an OpenSSL fix which had been initially categorized as critical should be included in the release. By the time the embargo was lifted, the categorization had been downgraded based on further analysis, but it was arguably the right decision by the Fedora project at the time.

Once it was delayed, a few additional fixes (and kernel uplift) were included, as they were already starting to roll out to previous Fedora releases.
                    Yes I forgot the reason why Fedora 37 release was delayed. Thank you for remind me this.

Comment

Only if you don't care about installing RPM packages which I do. If you prefer the Flatpak model, you can be using Fedora Silverblue instead which doesn't use traditional RPM packages at all.
                      Half the time GNOME Software will show updates which have already been installed with the Packagekit RPM plugin.

I understand there’s known issues and working going on to resolve them, but I have never had an out of the box Fedora install where gnome software works as intended, or in a performant manner. Similar to the indicator problem (no support for them), can spend years discussing who’s fault it is, but ultimately they’re still issues with no resolution in sight.

Comment

Working...
                      X