Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Beta Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Beta Released With Many Improvements

In working toward the official Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" release on 21 April, today Canonical and the Ubuntu community have announced the beta release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slightly disappointing that they went with Pulseaudio as default rather than Pipewise, but otherwise, looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
      Slightly disappointing that they went with Pulseaudio as default rather than Pipewise, but otherwise, looking forward to it.
      The moment they go PipeWire they will ship a broken setup by default.

(I actually hope not)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

(I actually hope not)
        Well, maybe. But yes, I do understand the logic of not doing a potentially disruptive change in an LTS release. Better to do it in a non-LTS release and let it mature for a while before including it in a LTS. Still, the little child in me that wants the latest and shiniest toys is disappointed.

OTOH I'm perfectly fine with the choice of the 5.15 LTS kernel. Once 22.10 rolls around there will be HWE kernels for those 22.04 LTS users that need newer kernels for driver support anyway.

Comment

POWER supprot baseline --> support?

Mesa 22.0 should also make it into Ubuntu 22.04 LTS --> it made it there already:

esa-va-drivers/jammy,now 22.0.0-0ubuntu2 amd64
          mesa-va-drivers/jammy,now 22.0.0-0ubuntu2 i386
          mesa-vdpau-drivers/jammy,now 22.0.0-0ubuntu2 amd64
          mesa-vulkan-drivers/jammy,now 22.0.0-0ubuntu2 amd64
          mesa-vulkan-drivers/jammy,now 22.0.0-0ubuntu2 i386

Last edited by Amano; 31 March 2022, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            PipeWire works surprisingly good (definitely better than Wayland) for me. Dropped PulseAudio as a nightmare.

Comment

They will still ship Gnome GTK 3 instead of GTK 4 applications, which is disappointing. Seems that Ubuntu is the new Debian by shipping old packages.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                PipeWire works surprisingly good (definitely better than Wayland) for me. Dropped PulseAudio as a nightmare.
                What the problem with pulseaudio this days? i dont have problems in the last 8 years

Comment

-march=power9 is absolutely brutal.

In my humble opinion, they maybe should have kept a special version for POWER8 and only compiled LTS releases for it in order to not absolutely shred the packaging servers.

Comment

is kubuntu in beta as well? does it allows for an effortless zfs installation (the same way ubuntu does)?

Comment

Working...
                    X