Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Happy yet 32 bit retards? Happy that you're holding back the ONE Linux distro and really the ONLY distro that has and can bring Windows and Mac refugees into the Linux fold? You Geeks and Phreaks are Linux's BEST and WORST enemy!

EVERYONE has gone 64 bit. IDE'S AND COMPILERS are dropping 32 bit support left and right. BUT OMG WINE AND MY 32 BIT VERSION OF QUAKE 2 IN UBUNTU?? TO ARMS...TO ARMS!! HUZZAH !!

Get OFF YOUR ASS....and learn how to package a Snap or Flatpak and/or learn LXD containers. Or pleaee SHOVE OFF as quickly as possible to your favorite "hobbyist" distro choice like Linux Mint or whatever Arch flavor of the month that hadn't been abandoned yet and let the adults continue to pave the way to a cleaner, more manageable Linux world with Ubuntu without us hearing you bitch dead tech.
    I don't normally feed the trolls, but when I do I like to feed them.

You do realize a *lot* of class-a and class-b titles on Steam are 32-bit... right? It was done like that so they would run on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems. Then game companies bumbled off (like they do) and we're left with some pretty recent titles (<5 years old) which are compiled for 32-bit. It's why Steam was so quick to "drop support" for Ubuntu. The anger is misplaced at Ubuntu though, the real anger should be at the game production companies that toss something on the floor, fire all their developers, and never plan to refresh or update their games.

EDIT: However, yeah.. if steam worked to flatpak 32-bit games that game companies tossed on the floor, it would be a non-issue.. at the same time, ubuntu throwing the middle finger up at the last moment and ditching all 32-bit compat libraries is also pretty shitty.

EDIT2: The lesson here is to only play open-source games :-D
    Last edited by kallisti5; 24 June 2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Happy yet 32 bit retards? Happy that you're holding back the ONE Linux distro and really the ONLY distro that has and can bring Windows and Mac refugees into the Linux fold? You Geeks and Phreaks are Linux's BEST and WORST enemy!

EVERYONE has gone 64 bit. IDE'S AND COMPILERS are dropping 32 bit support left and right. BUT OMG WINE AND MY 32 BIT VERSION OF QUAKE 2 IN UBUNTU?? TO ARMS...TO ARMS!! HUZZAH !!

Get OFF YOUR ASS....and learn how to package a Snap or Flatpak and/or learn LXD containers. Or pleaee SHOVE OFF as quickly as possible to your favorite "hobbyist" distro choice like Linux Mint or whatever Arch flavor of the month that hadn't been abandoned yet and let the adults continue to pave the way to a cleaner, more manageable Linux world with Ubuntu without us hearing you bitch dead tech.
      I don't get how including 32-bit support is holding back Ubuntu? Aren't they just being lazy?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx69 View Post

i bet you are fun at parties.... what advancement are you talking about here? Nothing is holding linux back. The public perception from the joe user is Ubuntu does not care for its users, just elitist like you. We are not talking fucking servers here. We are talking about a desktop os. Irritates me greatly that elitist bs kind of confuse the two.... and i am a unix/linux admin of 25+ years. You can have both you know? If you want a consumer hostile distro, then go to fedora.

Firstly: I don't go to parties. Complete waste of time with fake people with fake issues. Bullshit gatherings. Social Masturbation.

Secondly: It's just a WEEE bit elitist to throw in my face you're a "Unix/Linux admin of 25+ year". Let's just assume for the sake of argument that is true. I would fire you on the spot as a SHIT "Unix/Linux admin of 25+ years" if during that time you did not realize that Ubuntu is the ONLY distro that has even COME CLOSE to being a proper desktop version of Linux the likes of which would be understood and expected to ACT like a desktop by the unwashed masses who use Windows on a daily basis or MacOS for that matter. At least you DID recognize that Fedora has been a consumer hostile Linux distro. Shit just works on Ubuntu like a proper desktop OS and has done so for years. And WILL CONTINUE to do so even though Canonical rah-rahs more for servers and IoT. Jettisoning 32 bit will make that MORE so !!

Once again.....if you're a developer who STILL thinks the world is going to wait for you while you still toil in 32 bit land...bugger off snowflake. You should have given a CLARION CALL to the wider open source world if you and your team were incapable of porting your project over from 32 bit to 64 bit by now. That is the PRIME DIRECTIVE of Open Source. To get the help YOU need to do WHAT MUST BE DONE to continue progress.

It's all good though. All the compilers soon will give you no choice unless you want to fork them and maintain them JUST for your little pet 32 bit project.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post

I don't normally feed the trolls, but when I do I like to feed them.

You do realize a *lot* of class-a and class-b titles on Steam are 32-bit... right? It was done like that so they would run on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems. Then game companies bumbled off (like they do) and we're left with some pretty recent titles (<5 years old) which are compiled for 32-bit. It's why Steam was so quick to "drop support" for Ubuntu. The anger is misplaced at Ubuntu though, the real anger should be at the game production companies that toss something on the floor, fire all their developers, and never plan to refresh or update their games.

EDIT: However, yeah.. if steam worked to flatpak 32-bit games that game companies tossed on the floor, it would be a non-issue.. at the same time, ubuntu throwing the middle finger up at the last moment and ditching all 32-bit compat libraries is also pretty shitty.

EDIT2: The lesson here is to only play open-source games :-D

Yes....I DO know that lots of games both top drawer and less are 32 bit. So what? You're job as a developer is as much to design for the future (now the present) as it is the present (now the past).

So you as a developer got caught with your knickers down when the shift to 64 bit suddenly appeared to you like a revelation from above. Wakee Wakee.....

Comment

Yes....I DO know that lots of games both top drawer and less are 32 bit. So what? You're job as a developer is as much to design for the future (now the present) as it is the present (now the past).

So you as a developer got caught with your knickers down when the shift to 64 bit suddenly appeared to you like a revelation from above. Wakee Wakee.....
            Actually no, your job as a game developer is to make sure that you create a product people want to buy so they can pay your bills. You will reach the widest audience possible by catering to as many different platforms as possible. This is why devs will release stuff on multiple consoles and multiple PC OSes.

Like it or not, there are still people out there with 32-bit OSes, and they are a large enough demographic that game developers see them as a viable market to profit from.

As of today, I've noticed that nearly all games with a 32-bit release also come with a 64-bit. That's a fair compromise. I would have to agree that anyone who releases only 32-bit binaries for modern games is making a mistake.

Comment

This is a classic example of Canonical thinking "if everyone did x, then y would be great" but then people don't all do "x". Once, it was upstart, this time it's no 32bit support. I totally support their goal:

1) Removing the need for 32-bit packages. If you're building an IoT or something else, chances are you're either using an LTS release of Ubuntu or not Ubuntu at all.
              2) Packaging of apps into Snaps and Flatpaks. Personally, I like Snaps more than Flatpaks, but that's just cause I like how simple snap is to use.
              3) Streamlining the desktop. You guys probably remember how Ubuntu went from gnome to unity, almost went to Unity8 and back to gnome, or how they went from sysvinit to upstart and then to systemd, or how they almost went from xorg to mir, but now are going xorg to wayland.

Canonical had some ambitious goals but I believe they stretched themselves out too thin and are now trying to streamline everything. In dropping 32-bit packages, you halve the amount of bugs. The obvious downside to this is that the reason for the decrease in bugs is also due to the amount of applications that just simply no longer work anymore. Perhaps they're trying too hard to streamline now.

IMO: Snaps/Flatpaks are the best since you no longer have to worry about a system upgrade breaking a program that you need, and the sandbox nature of the format lessens the security risk of having an out-of-date library or dependency. The -only- downsides are the overall size of the installs, most programs are still insecure snaps, and the poor integration with other programs/DE. I still have problems where a snap install or a flatpak install of something does not follow the desktop theming or desktop scaling. Because of that last issue, snaps/flatpak is impossible to use on a 4K desktop resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                I don't get how including 32-bit support is holding back Ubuntu? Aren't they just being lazy?
                It's OLD cruft that has to be maintained and packaged properly when Canonical does not have the internal resources to hang on to that stuff like a Microsoft or Apple or even IBM/RedHat. But even Microsoft and Apple are shoving 32 bit aside more and more.

If for nothing else....there is NO need to maintain TWO code bases when only ONE can properly handle and address the coming ( and now in the present ) memory model where EVERYTHING is or can be addressable memory with persistence.

Just like with lazy web developers hanging on to Adobe Flash code and NOT recoding for HTML5....it's HIGH TIME to give a rude, kick the ass reminder to lazy 32 bit code monkeys to get off their asses and port to 64 bits. Or abandoned their shit and let somebody else MORE capable do it for them and take over that area.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  The sad part is that mentally challenged Ubuntu maintainers needed a backlash to remember that proprietary software, wine and games exist. I wouldn't trust these people to design a logo for a distro, let alone maintain one.
                  Why are you soiling yourself? They even mentioned Steam and WINE in their original announcement (and did so even back in 2016 when they first announced that they where planning to drop i386 support).

They where not planning on going forward in a way that would break either Steam or WINE, that is just extrapolations that people have made when they ran around in panic.

Comment

Firstly: I don't go to parties. Complete waste of time with fake people with fake issues. Bullshit gatherings. Social Masturbation.

Secondly: It's just a WEEE bit elitist to throw in my face you're a "Unix/Linux admin of 25+ year". Let's just assume for the sake of argument that is true. I would fire you on the spot as a SHIT "Unix/Linux admin of 25+ years" if during that time you did not realize that Ubuntu is the ONLY distro that has even COME CLOSE to being a proper desktop version of Linux the likes of which would be understood and expected to ACT like a desktop by the unwashed masses who use Windows on a daily basis or MacOS for that matter. At least you DID recognize that Fedora has been a consumer hostile Linux distro. Shit just works on Ubuntu like a proper desktop OS and has done so for years. And WILL CONTINUE to do so even though Canonical rah-rahs more for servers and IoT. Jettisoning 32 bit will make that MORE so !!

Once again.....if you're a developer who STILL thinks the world is going to wait for you while you still toil in 32 bit land...bugger off snowflake. You should have given a CLARION CALL to the wider open source world if you and your team were incapable of porting your project over from 32 bit to 64 bit by now. That is the PRIME DIRECTIVE of Open Source. To get the help YOU need to do WHAT MUST BE DONE to continue progress.

It's all good though. All the compilers soon will give you no choice unless you want to fork them and maintain them JUST for your little pet 32 bit project.
                    You are obvious a troll, but having been in manangement, you would be fired. Calling me a snowflake? how the fuck is that elitist? BTW, i am not a developer, but maintain the os' you buttercups depend on. Developement doesnt mean squat if you dont have users to use the freaking software. I have been using 64 bit os for longer than most. I started on dec alpha tru64. You dont know wtf you are talking about. You are the reason why linux has such a bad name. Unlike the rest of us that position linux to solve problems and make users life better, you are only in it for the lolz... snowflake. Not going to feed the troll anymore.

Comment

Not everyone is a fucking developer... get over yourself. Linux is not for just developers anymore.... it is for users.

Comment

Working...
                      X