Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post
    Seems like a good outcome. People get their legacy 32-bit application support and Ubuntu drops useless 32 bit packages like GCC/LLVM.
    they can't drop 32 bit support in gcc, because somehow they still need a way to build updated mesa packages, and others to be able to build 32 bit stuff from source if they really want to.

And everybody keeps forgetting about pcsx2 which is 32 bit only

Comment

No and no!
      It seems that my biggest fear is actually true.
      They signed a contract not to back down when Microsoft bribed them to push this crap.
      So no Canonical, I don't want selected stuff that you with you horrible decision power make.
      I don't wan't any Flatpak / Snap crap.
      I want the things as they were until now.
      You can continue with this crap, cause I'm gone, tired of this.
      I need just to see which is the best distro for my beloved KDE Plasma desktp, because both of the ones that I used are based on Ubuntu.
      Goodbye Nokia2 !

Comment

Actually I don’t think Canonical has the money. If anything their behavior over the last year or so indicates a lack of money to pursue their own goals. Sadly it looks like the community is causing them to waste money on stuff that shouldn’t even be in a modern desktop distribution.

Canonical could easily end up on the auction block soon. They have really lost the initiative with their distro and are in a form of regression. It will be interesting to see if they can pull out of this downward spiral or go the way of so many other distros.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        A simple case of "he who has the money.....will have to come up with the solution"

And at the moment, Canonical has the money. I would love to see Wine apps come as a Snap or Flat.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Sad really, I was hoping that Ubuntu would have displayed more backbone than this. There is no rational reason to be stuck with 32 bit support in a mainstream Linux implementation. No guys playing games is not a good reason to hold back the advancement of Linux. This is really bad for the public perception of Linux.
          I see what you're saying, but this isn't that big of a deal. To my understanding, this isn't a complete distro, so it's not like Canonical is allowing people to install 32-bit Ubuntu. Having a select few 32-bit packages for a handful of binaries that depend on them for multilib is completely reasonable and is not going to hold back the advancement of Linux at all. Closed-source 32-bit in-demand software is never actually going to go away in the foreseeable future (if ever), so retaining compatibility for such things is smart, especially for something as wide-spread as Ubuntu.

Comment

Expected, but too little too late. Trust is already ruined.

Comment

Is there any reason for the deprecation of 32-bit libraries other than age and simply not caring about compatibility?

Originally posted by Ubuntu
              We will also work with the WINE, Ubuntu Studio and gaming communities
              WINE? Wine Is Not an Emulator?
              This is proof the guy who wrote this doesn't care about these communities at all. The name is "Wine", not WINE. Kinda makes me remind of people who capitalize things thinking they're acronyms, like NODE, JAVA or WEB.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Expected, but too little too late. Trust is already ruined.
                What trust is ruined?

So far all that have happened is that they announced plans, when there turned up to be concerns on said plans by Valve and WINE they amended their plans accordingly.

How is that anything but showing that they do listen to the community and thus are somebody that you can actually put your trust into?

Comment

Sad really, I was hoping that Ubuntu would have displayed more backbone than this. There is no rational reason to be stuck with 32 bit support in a mainstream Linux implementation. No guys playing games is not a good reason to hold back the advancement of Linux. This is really bad for the public perception of Linux.
                  Why do idiots always believe they have a say in anything?

Yeah, the public perception of the OS which doesn't give a fück about backward compatibility. Exactly what most people expect from a decent desktop OS. Exactly what Windows, MacOS/iOS, Android provide. "Experts" at Phoronix always have something different in mind. They always want to destroy the legacy, they even call for removing the support for older hardware in the kernel which means in order to use Linux you have to actually spend quite a lot of money.

Comment

No guys playing games is not a good reason to hold back the advancement of Linux. This is really bad for the public perception of Linux.
                    Professional backwards compatibility will never damage the perception of anything.

Digital preservation: 1
                    Linux kids: 0

Comment

Happy yet 32 bit retards? Happy that you're holding back the ONE Linux distro and really the ONLY distro that has and can bring Windows and Mac refugees into the Linux fold? You Geeks and Phreaks are Linux's BEST and WORST enemy!

EVERYONE has gone 64 bit. IDE'S AND COMPILERS are dropping 32 bit support left and right. BUT OMG WINE AND MY 32 BIT VERSION OF QUAKE 2 IN UBUNTU?? TO ARMS...TO ARMS!! HUZZAH !!

Get OFF YOUR ASS....and learn how to package a Snap or Flatpak and/or learn LXD containers. Or pleaee SHOVE OFF as quickly as possible to your favorite "hobbyist" distro choice like Linux Mint or whatever Arch flavor of the month that hadn't been abandoned yet and let the adults continue to pave the way to a cleaner, more manageable Linux world with Ubuntu without us hearing you bitch dead tech.

Comment

Working...
                      X