Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

It looks like my info from this weekend was accurate, "I'm hearing that Canonical may revert course and provide limited 32-bit support." Canonical issued a statement today that they indeed will provide "selected" 32-bit packages for the upcoming Ubuntu 19.10 as well as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-32-Bit-19.10

what a soapy drama...

Comment

Oh, what's this?

That's right - that's precisely 2 of my ideas coming to fruition, that others said wasn't possible or likely. "Hurr durr you don't understand what you're talking about". Turns out, I really did.

Damn it feels good to be right sometimes.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Seems like a reasonable outcome to me.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Oh, what's this?

That's right - that's precisely several of my ideas coming to fruition, that others said wasn't possible or likely.

Damn it feels good to be right sometimes.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

Comment

hahahahaha
            i need popcorns.

Comment

A simple case of "he who has the money.....will have to come up with the solution"

And at the moment, Canonical has the money. I would love to see Wine apps come as a Snap or Flat.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                A simple case of "he who has the money.....will have to come up with the solution"

And at the moment, Canonical has the money. I would love to see Wine apps come as a Snap or Flat.
                Canonical may have money but they don't make any themselves.

Comment

Sad really, I was hoping that Ubuntu would have displayed more backbone than this. There is no rational reason to be stuck with 32 bit support in a mainstream Linux implementation. No guys playing games is not a good reason to hold back the advancement of Linux. This is really bad for the public perception of Linux.

Comment

Seems like a good outcome. People get their legacy 32-bit application support and Ubuntu drops useless 32 bit packages like GCC/LLVM.

Comment

Working...
                    X