Is Fedora's KDE Spin Too Bloated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GhostOfFunkS

Quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll , fits you well - you do more damage to the respectable Gnome community but it takes a smart person to realise where they are going wrong. Give it up. Psychological characteristics

Researcher Ben Radford wrote about the phenomenon of clowns in history and modern day in his book Bad Clowns and found that bad clowns have evolved into Internet trolls. They do not dress up as traditional clowns but, for their own amusement, they tease and exploit "human foibles" in order to speak the "truth" and gain a reaction. Like clowns in make-up, Internet trolls hide behind "anonymous accounts and fake usernames." In their eyes they are the trickster and are performing for a nameless audience via the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      Yeah. That's another good reason to deduplicate the stacks. There is no way the current QA effort can manage these kind of problems.
      If you think stack deduplication is so great, would you do us a favor and move your posting to KDE and Gnome forums where it will get the attention it needs? TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Web developers need Firefox, Chrome/ium and Edge/IE.
        This is why so many websites work correctly only with those three browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
          Gnome isn't even that bad but it's honestly pretty hilarious there are fanboys claiming it is more customizable than KDE, though to move the clock from the center to the right you will at least need an extension (consider yourself lucky if its control panel a. translated to your language, b. compatible with the shell version you use, c. actually works as expected and d. is still compatible with the version of the DE you use).
          Edit: I actually just checked and you really need an extension... lol.

Heck even debianxfce probably has a good laugh reading that.
          At least in one point of yours everyone who knows english could do something about it, translating what's not translated. In past i would add "easy" to such task, but it's everything but easy..., english is simple and efficient language, immagine someone who needs to translate new term on, I don't know, some language that have 12+cases and gendered words (like some baltic languages, I think estonian have 12 cases or something, or finish), now that's nightmare, often, I find it easier to "invent the term" on english than on native language, especially words that combine two terms into one. So if you see something untranslated, do it yourself, and if you come up with something you can't translate, leave it blank and there might be someone else who could do it better.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
            So how is it justified to keep two stacks when there is only the need for one? What we got today is a test case explosion that hurt both stacks.
            Maybe. But who are you to decide which of the stacks should be abandoned, especially as a person not contributing to any of those stacks?

Comment

Bizarre how a post about KDE defaults gets spun into a discussion about GNOME.

In any event the original post missed the point of defaults.... which is to provide as complete environment as possible out of the box. Since this is a KDE spin, we should be providing as complete of a KDE environment as possible. Users shouldn't be required to go on a treasure hunt to seek out available KDE applications. If you don't want to use a KDE default you can easily either go into settings and change the defaults or simply remove the packages you don't want. It's not that hard. The bottom line for every person who doesn't want package A, B, C - there will be someone who does.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

In fact, that's the big reason that so little is shared between the two. GNOME refuses to use KDE components for various reasons (eg. "C++ with a C binding offered is still too much C++" was one actual reason I remember reading about back in the GNOME2/KDE3 days) while KDE dismisses the idea of throwing out what they already have because the GNOME alternative is inferior in some way (eg. documentation, features KDE needs, stability, etc.) and nobody is volunteering to bring it up to parity.
                That's true, I recall early in The day back when I met several GNOME developers their dismissive attitude to C++. I was hoping they would grow up, but GNOME kept it's stubborn insistence of no C++. while we now have some C++ bindings like the 'mm' ones GNOME poisoned cross desktop collaboration long ago I don't see hope for GNOME ever collaborating effectively with KDE.

​For me, that attitude coupled by dismissive, elitists on IRC long ago killed my initial interest in GNOME and GTK development use. The irony is that kind of behavior would violate GNOMEs own Code of Conduct these days...

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                  Bizarre how a post about KDE defaults gets spun into a discussion about GNOME.

In any event the original post missed the point of defaults.... which is to provide as complete environment as possible out of the box. Since this is a KDE spin, we should be providing as complete of a KDE environment as possible. Users shouldn't be required to go on a treasure hunt to seek out available KDE applications. If you don't want to use a KDE default you can easily either go into settings and change the defaults or simply remove the packages you don't want. It's not that hard. The bottom line for every person who doesn't want package A, B, C - there will be someone who does.
                  The point of this discussion hasn't even been made, thanks in part to Michael sensationalizing and certain trolls that shall remain unnamed.
                  Fedora KDE packing more than some think is useful is only an issue if you can't remove extra packages because of dependencies. But considering most of the recent KDE was aimed squarely at modularizing frameworks, I think that's not the case. Nobody bothered to check, though.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                    ​For me, that attitude coupled by dismissive, elitists on IRC long ago killed my initial interest in GNOME and GTK development use. The irony is that kind of behavior would violate GNOMEs own Code of Conduct these days...
                    Maybe that is part of the reason why GNOME has Code of Conduct now.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The point of this discussion hasn't even been made, thanks in part to Michael sensationalizing and certain trolls that shall remain unnamed.
                      Fedora KDE packing more than some think is useful is only an issue if you can't remove extra packages because of dependencies. But considering most of the recent KDE was aimed squarely at modularizing frameworks, I think that's not the case. Nobody bothered to check, though.
                      Yep, you're absolutely correct. Some people can't grasp the concept of defaults. If it's a KDE spin you should expect KDE applications. No one is forcing you to use them.

Comment

Working...
                      X